Chapter 73 - Friend and Foe Alike

At that day in the evening, Emma and her friends were at their cabin. Emma was sitting on the couch with her Pikachu and Togepi, placing Pokémon food on the living room table for them to eat. Misty and Brock were on the computer, searching on Ritchie to gain some insight into his battling style, and Ash was leaning on the window, looking depressed, "Why is my next match has to be against Ritchie?"

"Pika..." the male Pikachu trailed off next to him, not knowing how to cheer him up. "Hey, Emma, Ash, check this out," Misty called. Emma looked over and stood up while the boy just looked at the redhead in confusion, "What are you doing?"

"I clicked down on the Pokémon League database, and it has a lot of information on all the trainers, including Ritchie's," Misty explained. Ash finally walked closer and stood between Emma and Brock, "Ritchie?"

"He won all four rounds without losing any of his Pokémon," Brock said. Emma smiled lightly, "Wow, he's amazing," she said. Ash frowned in slight annoyance, "Well, I won four rounds too, you know!" Emma glanced at him and then at Misty when the redhead spoke, "Yeah, you were lucky, but Ritchie really knows what he's doing."

Ash looked taken back by it and looked annoyed as Misty continued, "And Ritchie only use three Pokémon; Butterfree, Charmander and Pikachu." Emma raised an eyebrow, "Let's hope for Ritchie that his Charmander won't evolve with the same attitude like Ash's Charizard," she muttered. Ash raised an eyebrow at her, "I heard that."

Emma smiled innocently while Brock looked at the screen, "An Electric type, Fire type and a Flying type," he said and looked at Ash with a smile, "They almost the same kinda Pokémon you use, Ash."

"It's all depends on which one is the better trainer," Emma said. Misty looked at Ash, "You're in trouble," she said. Ash looked at her, "I'm just as good trainer as Ritchie is." Misty looked away with a shrug, "Its must be nice to dream when you wide awake."

Ash looked annoyed while Emma frowned. "You'll cry from been jealous when I'll win!" he said as he crossed his arms over his chest. "I don't know, Ash," Brock said. "Yeah, battling against a friend isn't always easy," Emma said. "Ritchie maybe a friend, but he's a competitor too," Ash said and looked at her, "And nothing is gonna stop me from winning that match tomorrow."

...................

In the morning, Ash was already ready to head to the Pokémon Center to get his Pokémon. Emma looked at Misty and Brock from the doorway of their room, "You guys coming?" she asked. Brock was about to reply when Misty cut him off, "Uh, why don't you and Ash go ahead? We'll meet you two for breakfast."

Emma raised an eyebrow but didn't say anything and just sighed as she walked out with Togepi and her Pikachu. Ash was waiting downstairs in the living room and spotted her. "Come on," Emma said. "What about Misty and Brock?" Ash asked. "They'll meet us for breakfast with your Mom and Professor Oak," Emma said.

The two of them headed to the Pokémon Center, there they saw Ritchie and Lisa. Ritchie put his Poke balls on his belt as Lisa saw Ash and Emma, "Hey, Ash! Hey, Emma! Hey, Pikachu and Togepi."

"Heya Lisa," Ash said with a smile. "Hey guys. Are you ready for your match with Ash today, Ritchie?" Emma asked. Ritchie nodded lightly, "Yeah." He looked at Ash with a smile, "Listen Ash, because we friends, we should promise each other that we'll make this the best battle we ever had."

Ash smiled and nodded, "Okay! That's a promise Ritchie." Lisa grinned while Emma smiled as the two boys fist-bumped each other. "I'll see you later at the stadium," Ritchie said. "Okay," Ash said before the siblings ran off with a quick goodbye.

Ash watched them leaving and Emma turned to him with a soft smile, "You know, it's not always easy to battle a friend, but it's a good thing," she said. "Huh? What you mean?" Ash asked. "Because if you won't win, you can still be happy that your friend won," Emma said, "I know that if Ritchie won't win, he will be happy for you, 'cause you his friend."