Alex Watson

ATTENTION: This story was published three years before series four aired and two years before TAB aired. Any revelations given in that season will not be mentioned at all here.

------------------------

A hand reached over the coffee table and picked up the glass of water on it. The man never took his eyes off the television, even as he almost spilled over himself. He heard footsteps coming up the stairs and didn't even have to think to know who it was.

"Finally, John." He said. "You took long enough."

"Did you get the milk like I asked?" The man called John said.

"No." The man watching television said.

"Sherlock, this is the third time this week!" John said. "Never mind. Alex, come in here!"

"This is a nice place. How'd you manage it?" Said a female voice.

"Another girlfriend?" Sherlock asked, raising his eyebrows.

"No, my sister. I told you earlier this week she was coming to stay with us." John said.

A young woman came into the room and looked around. Sherlock looked her over, beginning to read. She had John's bluish-gray eyes and blonde hair. She was wearing a cheap T-shirt, some jeans, and tennis shoes. Words flew around Sherlock's brain. He looked her up and down. She had several bruises on her wrist and arms, dark enough for domestic violence. The way she held herself and froze when she met his eyes told him she was uncomfortable around strangers.

"Oh, you must be Sherlock Holmes." She said, relaxing a little.

"Yes, and you're Alexandra Watson." Sherlock said, looking back at the television.

"Yeah, but just call me Alex. Alexandra takes too long to say." Alex laughed. Sherlock didn't say anything.

"Uh, Sherlock?" John said. "Can you show Alex around the flat?"

"This is the living room, there's the kitchen, bathroom and my bedroom are down the hall." Sherlock said, pointing.

"Alright then." Alex said. She then looked at John. "Not one for talking, is he?"

"No. Not usually." John laughed. "Do you want to stay in my room tonight?"

"Oh, no, I'll be fine on the couch." Alex said.

"You sure?" John said.

"Positive." Alex smiled.

"Alright then. I'll be out getting the milk that somebody forgot to pick up." John said, casting a meaningful look at Sherlock, who smirked as he looked away. "You two get aquainted. Oh, and Sherlock?"

"Yes?" Sherlock said.

"Be nice." John said firmly. With that, he left.

Alex looked around the living room and her eyes stopped on the violin. She looked to Sherlock.

"Do you play?" She asked.

"Yes." Sherlock said. "Do you?"

"I play the piano." Alex said. "But the violin has always intrigued me."

"Hm." Sherlock said, turning back to the T.V. Alex sighed and sat down next to him.

"Mr. Holmes-"

"Sherlock, call me Sherlock." Sherlock interrupted.

"Alright then. Sherlock, if you don't like having me here, I can leave. I don't want to intrude." Alex said.

"No, it's fine that you're here." Sherlock said. "I'm just like this all the time. It's how I am. You're quiet and shy, but after you get to know someone, you're bouncing around like a puppy around them."