The Golem

The next morning, Alex, Sherlock, and John were all watching the news. The bombing of the old lady had been put on, except everyone thought it was a faulty gas main. Only the three of them knew the truth. Alex was sitting in Sherlock's chair with him and John was sitting in his own chair. Twelve people had been killed. Sherlock was somewhat mad that he had lost.

"A whole block of flats." John murmered, shaking his head.

"He certainly gets about." Alex said.

"It seems I lost that round." Sherlock said. "Although I did technically solve the case."

He tried to turn off the telly, but the button was jammed. He got frustrated when it wouldn't turn off and threw the remote at the television, the screen getting a crack on it. Alex sighed and picked another remote.

"You had the DVD player remote, idiot." She said. "And that's coming out of my money."

"It is not." John said.

"He killed the old lady because she started to describe him." Sherlock said. "Just once, he put himself in the firing line."

"What do you mean?" John asked.

"Well, usually, he must stay above it all. He organizes these things, but no one ever has direct contact." Sherlock said.

"Hm, what, like the Connie Prince murder?" John asked. "He arranged that? People come to him, wanting their crimes fixed up like booking a holiday?"

"We should go on holiday when this is over." Alex muttered.

"Novel." Sherlock murmered.

John looked at the T.V. which was still on. The news had switched the the story of Connie Prince's murder. Raoul de Santos was being dragged out to a police car while people shouted questions at him and tried to get pictures.

"Taking his time this time." Sherlock said.

"You just jinxed it!" Alex said.

"Oh, come now, Alex, jinxes aren't real." Sherlock scoffed.

"Anything on the Carl Powers case?" John asked.

"Nothing." Sherlock shook his head. "All the living classmates checked out spotless, no connection."

"Maybe the killer was older than Carl?" John suggested.

"The thought had occurred." Sherlock said.

"So why is he doing this, then? Playing this game with you?" Alex asked.

"Do you think he wants to be caught?" John asked.

"I think he wants to be distracted." Sherlock said.

John laughed dryly. "I hope you'll be very happy together."

"Sorry, what?" Sherlock said, looking up. John had walked into the kitchen.

"There are lives at stake, Sherlock! Actual human lives!" John yelled, making his sister jump. "Just so I know, do you care about them at all?"

"Will caring about them help save them?" Sherlock asked.

"Nope." John shook his head.

"Then I'll continue not to make that mistake. I've made it once." Sherlock said. "And I don't plan to make it again."

"Do you mean-" Alex started.

"Yes, Alex, I do." Sherlock said, giving her a sharp look.

"You find that easy, do you?" John asked.