Why do people cheat?

People cheat on their partners either by getting emotionally involved with someone without their knowledge or by being physically involved. This act of being unfaithful or breaking someone's trust is called infidelity.
It is one of the major reasons behind breakups (second after abuse).

Those who cheat, generally are going through a rough patch in their relationship and are easily distracted.
If they do get emotionally involved with someone else, then they will eventually breakup.
They may not cheat deliberately, but subconsciously are coping up with the stress in this manner, and need to realize, it's an immature method. Their current relationship might be perfect but that doesn't rule-out the need to improve themselves.

I had a friend, who was in relationship with a guy 'A'. A was abusive. My friend cheated on him with a guy 'B' who seemed like a calm and composed person. But 'B' never talked much to her, so she cheated on him with 'C' who was more expressive and communicated well.
Now, she might/might not face trouble with 'C'. But resorting to cheating each time something shows up is not a perfect solution. Right?
It shows she is unable to face issues head on, and find solutions.

People could also be unfaithful because they find their life monotonous, boring, tiring and are not being satisfied by their partners. Here, they get physically involved to feel satisfied or happier or to destress. But also feel guilty for doing something behind their partner's back. Such people, definitely wouldn't want to break off their current relation. But, on finding out the truth, the partner has to decide whether he/she can accept it, or whether both of them can reach an understanding together, and what would one do if the same thing repeats.
The ones who break their partners' trust should be thinking twice, as they may lose an important person from their life.

Another set of people cheat, because they don't think it's wrong. They feel it's a natural process to give in to their instincts. Such people, may not even mind their partners doing the same. It's very important that you know beforehand, whether the person you plan on dating belongs here or share the same view as you regarding it.
If both the partners feel the same way, they could engage in partner swaps or polyamorous relations with mutual understanding.

Then, there are the so called 'players', who are unfaithful because they never were serious about their relation.
It's difficult to know whether a person is serious or not.
So, if you ever find out that your partner was a player, take time to grieve, and be glad that you were fortunate enough to realize the truth.

There are cases where people who get cheated on, later on become players themselves. This is a type of coping up mechanism, known as 'introjection' i.e. identifying yourself with others. It's an immature way to deal with stress. By, cheating on others they are subconsciously telling themselves, what happened to them wasn't a big deal.
Instead the partners who do get left out, need to realize how they ended in this situation, how not to repeat the same mistakes, and also realize that the ones who cheated were undeserving and immature.

( Do let me know if you like "Love Philosophy" by voting, commenting or by adding to your reading list. It would also help me stay motivated enough to update it sooner ^.^)