The Ludus

The ludus or 'playful' type of relationship, is where the couple considers their love as a game, or conquest. It involves a lot of flirting, teasing, seduction and sex.

Such a couple, wishes to have as much fun as possible and rarely become overly involved with one person.
They may have multiple partners at once, may remain uncommitted to their partners, and wish their partners would neither demand or expect anything in return.
If at all, they do commit; there are high chances of infidelity.

They never reveal their true thoughts or emotions to their partners, and may also expect their partners to be similar minded.
In most extreme forms, it can also lead to sexual addictions.

Examples of ludus from movies include:

"No strings attached"

"Friends with benefits"

"Cruel intentions"

The manga, 'Kyo koi o hajimemasu', where the male protagonist initially considered love as a conquest or game.

This kind of relationship is seen a lot, nowadays.
One thing remains quite common among people who indulge in the 'playful' type of love; and that is, they have trust issues, depression, pain from past, compared to those involved in other types of relationships.
We do not know yet, if such a behaviour leads to depression or depression leads them to seek happiness and fun from their relationships.

If it's because of past trauma, then indulging in this type of relation, could be seen as defence mechanism; where they do not open their hearts to anyone, preventing themselves from being hurt again.