Long distance relationship

There are three types of long distance relationship /LDR.

First one, where the couple are initially together, later moving to different cities due to education or career. Here, distance is a new challenge they need to overcome, in order to get closer and stronger together.

Second one, the couple were previously acquainted with each other or were friends, but are now separated by distance. They get closer through internet and begin their relationship as Ldr.

Third one, the couple live in different places, were complete strangers, get to know each other through the internet and get into Ldr.
Without saying, it's obvious, the third type of relationship has maximum chances of being involved with frauds.

Some of the positive aspects of Ldr are:

You get to meet the person maybe once a month or once a year, that means less dates and less expenditure.

You can literally look like a beggar in your routine life. Not having to bother about dressing up, grooming, pimples, shaving, washing your hair, as you don't need to attract anyone.
You need to bother with yourself, only on those few rare dates.

There are lesser fights in an Ldr. Since you spend less time with the person, there are fewer chances of getting annoyed by him/her.

In case, the couple breaks up, it wouldn't take much time to adjust to their ex-partner's absence in life. They were already absent for majority of the time.
In short, you will miss them less. Though, it doesn't necessarily mean your yearning or longing for them would be any lesser.
Additionally, in case of second and third type of Ldr, the individuals have very few memories that they require to suppress in order to move on.

The negatives include:

The amount of time you spend with each other is very insufficient. It's just never enough!
Both of the partners have their own routines to follow. Even if they manage to call each other daily for one hour, and meet every month;
The time an Ldr couple spend together in two years, would be the same as the time, a campus couple spend in three months. This is honestly unfair and dissatisfying.
So, for those who begin their relationship as a long distance one, it means you require a hell lot of time to get to know each other personally, at a deeper level.

Adjusting your time, according to your partner is 'the biggest challenge'. Even if you agree on a certain time, there are going to be days when you go without calling each other. This can be very disappointing.
There are going to be horrible or emotionally exhausting days, and your partner may or may not be there to console you.
There are going to be joyful moments and your partner may not be there to share your happiness. This is a fact, that you will have to get used to.

Although fights are less, but by chance a fight or misunderstanding occurs, it will take more time to resolve. One of the biggest turn offs in an Ldr.
Time spent together for an ldr couple is precious. Having fights make you feel like you are wasting your precious time. People tend to ignore the little things that troubles them, until it becomes huge enough. Only then they start addressing the issue, and it takes even longer to express oneself completely.

In short, communication isn't the problem. The lack of expression of your thoughts and emotions, is the main issue.
You express yourself through your eyes, face, body language, touch, words, silence, actions- be it conscious or unconscious. In Ldr, you don't have all these means to convey your feelings and have to try your best with what you have.

An LDR tests one's perseverance, fidelity, patience, maturity and love. Those who stay together through it, definitely score straight 'A's in all these tests.
While those who give up, will require time to introspect where they lacked, in order to emerge out as a stronger person.