Chapter 5

I look out the corner of my eye at the person standing at the door. They have been standing at the door for some time now. We are currently working on math, algebra to be exact. The teacher walks up to the man after finally seeing him, they exchange a few words in friendly conversation.

The teacher turns and walks in the direction of my table. "Kaindra can you please go with Jim over there," Ms. Hart says.

"Why?" I ask.

"It has something to do with your schedule," she says.

"Okay" I get up and grab my stuff before heading to the door. I look back when I hear people snickering unsurprisingly it's Kaycee and her friends. I turn back around and continue walking to the door.

"Kaindra?" The man, I think his name was Jim asks.

"That's me," I say. He nods turning around and motioning for me to follow him. We walk side by side down the hallway. "Where are we going?"

"To see the base commander about something," Jim says. I nod not questioning him further I will find out eventually. Soon we get to a door which I assume is the base commander's office. Jim knocks on the door before entering the room, and I follow behind.

"Please, Kaindra was it?" I nod my head and "take a seat" taking a seat in the chair motioned to. I observe the base commander as I wait for him to talk. "I asked you here because your teacher has told me that you seem to be excelling in the class."

"Not I am just doing the work handed to me," I say trying to look relaxed.

"Yes but you seem to have already done these things before," he says.

"That's because I have, at home I have gone over the things in school early to take the stress off" I lie.

"Well the true reason I brought you here was not to discuss your grades it was to give an option to you," he says leaning back in his chair. "Since there are no more school-like classes after this year for your age group, and you seem to already know the material I was thinking of bumping you up.

Let you finish this week of school then you can start on full-time training in whatever position you want a year early if you would like."

I lean back into my chair thinking " I would like that very much, but why would you give me that option?" I ask.

"Since it is still early in our situation the more people we have contributing to running the base the more effectively the base would run."

"I understand"

"Great now what position would you like?" He asks leaning forward.

"I would like to go with the foragers if that would be okay?"

"Well I was expecting a more safe job but if that is what you want then I don't see why not"

I break out in an edited smile "thank you, base commander, I appreciate it. When do I start?"

"Tomorrow, I will send you down with a note to the receptionist on how to change your schedule. You can go back and finish the class after that."

"Thank you again, base commander," I say getting up from my seat.

" you're welcome, I don't want to see you in my office again got it," he says with a smile.

Chuckling I smile at the kind man " I hope to never have to be in here other than a friendly talk."

"Good now you may be on your way class is almost over" giving him a final wave I scurry out of the office. Walking to the receptionist I hand her the note, she smiles at me and begins to remake my schedule.

"Here you go, good job I can't wait to see how your training goes," she says smiling at me.

"Thank you I can't wait to see you either" I smile up at the nice lady. Giving her one final wave I turn around and begin to head off to class.

I hum to myself as I skip down the hall to the class for my last day. Entering the room I walk over to my friends. "So what did the base commander want?" Kaitlyn asks.

"I'm done with school I start officially training to be a forager tomorrow," I say they all look at me shocked. "Ya, he asked me to his office, asking me if I wanted to stop school and start with a job after today."

"Really? I wish I had that option." Jen says pouting.

"Oh cheer up Jen at least we will be here dealing with this torture together," Liam says nudging Jen's shoulder.

Her face beams at that though "you're so right Liam I do have you guys and now with you joining us I have one extra person" we all laugh at her enthusiasm.

Pouting I look at Jen " you're replacing me already and I haven't even left what a friend Jen" laughing she leans on my side.

"no one can replace you, Kain Kain it's not like anyone can do what you can do" smiling at her I pat her head.

"Well, of course, I am one of a kind special specimen might I say." she giggles at my statement.

"Hey, you bunch focus" we look over at our teacher letting out a silent laugh.

Turning around I lean into the middle of the table "even in a zombie apocalypse, we can't get a break." we all break down laughing at that statement.

"So today was your last day?" Kaitlyn asks walking up to my side.

"Ya, but don't worry I will pop in now and then if I can and I should be done earlier than supper or lunch depending on the day," I say.

She smiles sadly at me "ya I know but now I have to deal with these two hooligans all by myself" we both laugh.

"Hey what are you two laughing about?" Jen hollers at us.

"Nothing important" I yell back at her stifling a laugh.

"You start training tomorrow?" Kaitlyn asks.

"Yep" I chirp.

"What's your new schedule like?"

"I like it, I have plant identification first and zombie evasion after then lunch. Then zombie defence and group training."

"group training?"

"A training season on things with the group like packing one day medical the next technically all things forager. That's why it's a two-hour training season once we finish training we go out on runs."

"Dam I can't wait till I can do training," she says looking at her feet.

"don't worry just another year. But when it does come what do you want to be?" I ask effectively lifting her mood.

" I want to be a guard or maybe a nurse, someone that can help people," she says starting to jump on her feet.

Putting my hands on her shoulders I gently push on her shoulders stopping her bouncing. "hold still girl you're going to run into someone. But that does sound like two very good jobs and something I can see you doing. It doesn't matter what job you do every job helps in some way."

" You're right I know that I just want to help as many people as I can," she says getting sad again.

"Hey, cheer up time flies and before you know it you will be in training. Now off of the sad stuff what do we want to do I feel kind of hungry"

"Then let's go get food"

"Food who said the food the last one there has to do laundry for a week" Jen hollers running past us Liam just behind her.

"Hey no fair you got a head start," Kaitlyn says taking off after her.

"Not my fault you're slow" Jen hollers running faster.

"Come on Kaindra she gonna beat us" Kaitlyn yells trying to catch up to Jen. Shaking my head I run after them.