Chapter 39

"Ahhh come on Kaindra think you can figure this out." Rubbing my face I look down at my notebook. Four deaths in the past two weeks Christmas coming up. Four funerals but no clue who is killing the people.

All deaths from what I gathered have either been blood loss or life drain. So only vampires and demons have been killing. What are the witches doing?

Most people are scared to go anywhere alone and I don't blame them. The deaths have been random two happened back to back. All in different areas and at different times. It's always a big question of who is next.

No connection between the victims and each from different professions. "Ahh since when did I become a detective." I know who or what group is killing the people, but telling the base commander won't stop them they will just kill him.

For all, I know they could be done by frightening the base.

A thump sounds down the hall. Feet scrapping on the group with a silent plea. Jumping from my seat I rush down the hall. The sound of the person's feet moving begins to slow down. Pushing myself as fast as a human should go I hold onto the wall swinging around a corner.

I guess they aren't done with freighting the base.

The metallic smell of blood wafts into my nose. Rushing a little faster I open my senses more. Drips ring into my ears louder the closer I get. Turning down the last hall I spot a woman pushing another woman into the wall. The woman on the wall slumped hanging limply in her grip.

The other woman holds her tighter breaking the skin. Small amounts of blood drip through her fingers onto the floor. "Hey, you stop" the women's head snaps in my direction at my shot. Blood red eyes stare into my silver ones glowing with mirth. The woman smirks showing her sharp fangs dripping with fresh blood.

Tossing the body aside she stalks my way with slow even steps excited for another kill. "Hello, human come to join the fun." I scowl at her standing my ground. Focusing on the woman on the floor I catch her against her heartbeat.  Thank goodness she is alive hopefully I can keep it that way.

Rushed footsteps sound coming our way. The woman doesn't appear to hear them, good let's keep her distracted. Let's play on the human card "what are you? What di-did you d-do to h-he-her?" the woman smirks enjoying watching the weak human scared.
Well sorry but I ain't no human.

"Oh, nothing I just wanted a little snack that's all." She shrugs the smirk never leaving her face. She continues sauntering toward me enjoying watching her prey squirm. I observe her no name tag or badge but I have seen her around the base. She looks to be in her mid twenty's but you never know with a vampire. Short should-length hair dyed blond. The footsteps are almost here just a little longer.

I take a small step back as she gets closer. "Where are you going I thought you wanted to join the fun. Come on I promise it will be fun." She says trying to lock our gazes. Just a little longer. Her head tilts to the side once the footsteps come down the last hall before this one.

Grumbling the smirk vanishes from her face "until next time human." With that, she leaves leaving a gust of wind in her wake. Letting out a deep breath I relax my muscles rushing over to the woman on the floor. 

Holding my hands over her wound I try to stop the little blood that is coming out. The footsteps rush down the hall at a faster rate once they spot me and the woman. "What happened we heard a shout," a voice says dropping to the floor beside me.

Looking up I two guards standing beside me with a man crouching in front of me. "I was walking when I heard a thud and a small scream. I came here and saw another woman on her. I shouted and the woman fled." I try to make my voice sound scared and worried. The man smiles at me reassuringly.

"That's very brave of you we got it from here you can go wash up." I nod removing my hands from the woman's neck. The blood flow has stopped which is not a good sign. In the listing I only hear the sound of the three men's hearts, the woman is dead.

Nodding to the guards I walk away down the hall. Once I turn the corner the men begin to talk. "She's dead," the man who spoke says.

"We thought so she lost a lot of blood like the others, " one of the guards says.

"That poor girl is only a teen and she watched a person die." The man says.

"She seems strong well have to question her on the attacker's appearance that might give us a lead." A guard says

"Agreed," the other guard says.

I block out the rest of their discussion. I was expecting them to question me about the woman. I just have to give them the bare minimum. I don't think telling them her eyes were blood red and she had a fang would go well for me.

Grabbing my stuff from the library I was in I pack up. It's almost time for bed so heading up to my room I tuck it in for the night.

Shouts echo from outside. "What's that all about?" Jen questions pushing her plate away.

"I don't know," Sam says looking to the door the noise came from.

Guards rush out of the mess hall. Sometime later a guard walks back in. "Please use a different exit when leaving the mess hall." He says walking back out.

"Whatever it is it must be serious," Jen mutters returning to her food without worry.

What could that have been about? another death already?

A guard walks back in looking around the mess hall. He spots me heading my way. He is one of the guards from last night that came at my shout. "I'm sorry to bother you but could.."

"Kaindra"

"Kaindra please come with me?"

I nod getting up "don't worry guys I'll be fine don't wait up for me." I wave to them standing up. Nodding to the guard to lead the way I follow him out the door. Some people watch me confused as to why I get to go out the door they specifically told us not to.

Ignoring them I let the guard lead me. We walk down a hallway in silence. Turning a corner I gasp. Laying on the ground is a body, the body of the woman I saw last night. She has a wooden stake in her heart. She lays motionless looking like she was dead for years with her grey skin hugging every bone when she is only dead for hours.

The guard turns to me "I apologize for bringing you to see this but we need to know if this is the same person you saw last night."

Tearing my eyes away from the body I look at the guard. "Yes, this is the same person."

He nods his thanks "you may go now." Not waiting a second I leave. Why is she dead? Did they kill her for getting caught? Probably let's hope they don't come after me next.

We had the funeral for the woman the next day. Most of the people said their goodbyes to the woman I found. News travelled fast that the second woman dead was the one who killed the first. Only the people who knew her said goodbye.

The unease left the base with the thought that the killer is dead. I know better. She wasn't the only one. More deaths will come. The Christmas party is in a few days so hopefully, we can get some of the tension out of the base for one day.