Chapter 32

I hear a thump as a person sits beside me. "That bad huh Diana?" I ask.

She chuckles "how did you know it was me? Your eyes are closed."

Smirking I open my eyes sitting up. "I recognize your glow and footsteps."

She scrunches her face "you can see my glow with your eyes closed?"

I told her about my sight since she has become a close friend and ally. "It is developing, I can see glows with my eyes closed. All around me even behind me with my eyes closed using my mind's eye." She nods leaning back in her chair.

Diana huffs rubbing her face "back to the original reason why I am here. This snow has been ruining my and everyone else schedules. I just want to go out and do work but no the snow won't stop." Diana grumbles frustrated.

I chuckle "I more than agree with you. Why don't you tell that to mother nature she might listen."

Diana glair's at me "not funny."

Laughing I pat her leg "I think it's a little funny. But yes this snow needs to stop it has been snowing for four days now."

The snow has been insane. Four days straight of snow the first two days were hard snow. The last two are just enough to stop anyone from leaving. "Kevin said if I'm lucky I should go out tomorrow to start scouting again."

Diana sits up with the excitement on her face. "That means we will be going out soon YES." Diana cheers falling into her chair.

Comfortable silence follows. Diana and I enjoy each other company. Noise in the hall causes me to sit up. Kids wander into the library we're in. Diana opens her eyes watching the kids. "Looks like that's our Que to leave."

"Yep, feel like going to the gym?" I ask Diana shrugs following me out. We are great people in the halls as we pass taking our time with nothing planned today.

We enter the big gym spotting raiders, guards, foragers, or any person who wants to work out in the gym. Taking off my jacket I go to the treadmill. Diana joins me on the treadmill beside me. "Man I miss being outside treadmills aren't the same as the ground." Diana sulks turning up her speed.

Turning my speed up to a steady jog I stay silent adjusting to the treadmill. "I miss running outside too but we need to warm up a little before hitting the weights."

Diana looks at me puzzled "I thought we were just going to do some running, not lifting."

"Diana we came here for a workout. Doing stuff with weights to build up muscle is good for you plus you feel better after when the soreness goes away." Diana sniffs continuing her jog.

Two minutes later I hop off the treadmill. Diana follows me grumbling. Swinging my arms I do some light static stretches before going to the chin-up bar. "Kaindra I can't do chin-ups," Diana says staring at me.

I shake out my hands losing my wrists. "You don't have to do chin-ups, you have been in here before for training you know exercises you can do." I reach up grabbing the bar. Hoisting myself up I begin my set.

Diana wanders off after I do five. Keeping the sets short for appearances I finish with a muscle up before dropping to the ground. Vampires may have unnatural strength but working out makes you stronger and makes you look strong.

People come and go as I continue my workout. Diana gave up after thirty minutes and has been on the treadmill waiting for me. "You do know you can leave whenever you want right, you don't have to stay for me," I say leaning on the treadmill beside Diana's.

Diana slows down to a light walk catching her breath. "Yeah I can but I want to wait. Plus supper should be starting in twenty minutes we can go together."

I smile appreciating her thought "I'll be quick I am almost done. We can go for showers after." Diana nods speeding up again.

Pushing off the treadmill I take a seat on the leg lift. Finishing my last set I take a sip of my water. Most of the other people have left to wash up, some are just finishing. I wave to Diana that I am done. Diana turns off the treadmill. We leave for the showers after grabbing our stuff.

I laugh brushing the tears away "no you did not do that, " I say.

Diana shakes her head brushing her tears away. "Nope I did my mom was so mad at me that she threatened to send me to my uncles. And trust me you never want to go to my uncles."

I burst out laughing leaning on the wall. "How did you pull it off? You can't just enchant a frog to chase someone around trying to kiss them."

Diana bursts out laughing again. People give us funny looks as they pass. "Come on she said she always wanted a frog prince like in princess in the frog. I was ten so I made a frog want to kiss her." Diana says all seriousness I stare at her.

She cracks laughing again "that doesn't make it better." Continuing into the mess hall we bicker back and forth about the pros and cons of her little prank.

Kevin walks up to us once we sit with his plate. "What is so funny?" He asks taking the seat across from us.

"Diana was telling me about a prank she played on a kid when she was ten. She tried to make a frog kiss the girl." I say poking Diana.

Kevin laughs "you were a prankster as a kid as well not surprising." Diana shrugs swatting my hand away.

We enjoy putting food as my other friends join us. The great Kevin taking their seats. I tell them about Diana's little prank. They laugh as Diana explains in detail as much as she can with Kevin here what she did.

Kevin turns to me once he finishes his food. "We got the okay for you to go and continue your scouting tomorrow. If the weather keeps calming down the raiders and foragers should be able to go out in two days."

Diana cheers at the news as I thank Kevin. He leaves to do paperwork letting us finish our food.

Tieing off my braid I grab my backpack skipping out of my room. Scarfing down my food I finish in record time. The snow is better today than yesterday looking like it should stop in the next few days.

I wave to Kevin as I leave the building. Jogging out of the gates I tune my sight on. The snow at night is worse than in the day so doing my nightly runs has been hard. I have had to cut them short by doing more hard running.

No more scares have come from the barriers. The big group I saw has been absent. Hopefully, they left I should figure that out today.

I scout hard for good patches close to the base. Slowly I head farther out. After a couple of good patches, I decided to do my check. I run in a loop to the spot I last saw the group.

Ten minutes later I stop. Old footprints and car marks are left. Judging by the fires and how deep the snow is they left ruffly a day ago. Hopefully away from Shilo.