Chapter 25

Diana runs up behind me engulfing me in a hug "you did it Kaindra." That's when I finally break. Crying into her shoulder I hug her tightly.

"No we did it all of us together" Jean, Catty, and Kate walk up to us. Pulling them into a big group hug.

Pulling away I wipe my tears away giving them a grateful smile. "Thank you guys for helping I could not have done this without you." Smiles all around push me into the crowd of people.

Laughing at their eagerness I walk into the crowd. People greet me as I walk past, some pat me on the back others introduce themselves. Mothers pull me into a hug telling me how brave and strong I am. All-around people are nice and aren't shunning me.

Around 1 Am everyone retires to bed. We set plans out for the witches to place barriers against supernatural's and humans with bad intentions to not pass. The angles placed their barrier blocking demons and vampires as they could sneak past. There is a way to break through that is where I come in to stop them, but it should be far less than it was previously.

The angels and witches got in contact with others outside of Shilo. They told them to do the same thing, so hopefully, the other settlements have at least one witch or angle.

I still went on my run after the meeting. I decided to stop in a small clearing to practice some combat and work on my ability. I may seem to have full control over than but I only had them for a year so I am still learning.

Jordan would be proud of what I have accomplished. Yes, we have angel, witch, demon, werewolf, and vampire friends but most dislike any species that is different from them, except for humans.

Morning came with me back to my normal schedule. Today we are going to a river for some fishing. Angles and witches give me nods in the halls and me in return. We are all on good terms hopefully we can keep it that way.

We got a good hall of fish with some greens when we returned. "That's the last of the fish" Dylan cheers the kitchen staff chuckle at him taking the fish away. "Now I think I am going to have a shower."

Dylan walks off with Jacob and Dustin. Kevin left after helping us unload the fish to do the paperwork. Turning to my teammates that are left "So what do you guys think of a shower?"

Carol sighs rubbing her hands on her pants "You don't have to tell me twice." We all laugh grinning at her.

"Oh we know Carol we know" she grins back at us. We leave the loading zone to the closest showers.

"Hey Catty can I borrow your hairbrush?" Diana calls.

"I'm Kate Diana can't you tell by the highlights?" Kate calls to Diana.

Diana shrugs her shoulders "your twins and identical at that." Kate sighs shaking her head.

Chuckling I smile, I love my team we work well together we are like a small family. Most teams are as we spend so much time together we have to get along. I turn to Jean she smiled at me shaking her head at our teammate's antics.

Weeks pass by with winter slowly approaching. It snowed a few times but melted after. We are expecting the snow to stay next time as the temperature drops. Mechanics have placed small heaters in key parts of each building to heat them for the coming winter.

Winter training classes started last week. Learning how to move and find plants is a necessary skill for foragers as we are out in the open more. There are also classes on what to do to keep your room warm. It's nice to have the extra classes available to fill your time.

Foragers have officially moved to traditional foraging after our last big farm run. We had to stock up on as many greens and meat before the snow fell and stayed.

"Kaindra could you lead that zombie away" I turn to Kevin spotting the zombie he pointed out. Nodding I lead the zombie into the trees. Getting him tangled up I return to the group. We chat ideally doing our work to pass the time.

"You have got to be kidding me" Jacob mumbles beside me. Looking up a snowflake falls onto my nose. "Looks like winter has come." Jacob pulls his winter coat tighter around himself continuing his work.

Finding any good patches of edible plants was hard enough with most things being dead. Now we have to dig through the snow. We pack up our hall returning to the base.

The twenty-minute ride back brings more and more snow that does not melt. We bring the bags of plants to the kitchen for the staff. Kate and I were an extra bag of medical plants to the nurses. "Thank you guys," Nichole says taking the bag and giving it to Kaitlyn to bring back. I wave at Kaitlyn before she walks away.

"I think I will stay and chat with Nichole for a little while unless I am needed for anything else," I tell Kate.

She shakes her head "no we finished everything our schedules are clear for the rest of the day." She waves goodbye leaving the nursing area.

I turn back to Nichole taking a seat in front of her. "So how have things been?"

She beams at me taking her own seat "great most of the older students are now done and have started training full time. The extra help had been great around here."

Kaitlyn returns taking the seat beside Nichole. The three of us chat the rest of the time till dinner. "It was lovely catching up with you Nichole I will stop by another time." Standing up Kaitlyn waves goodbye to her fellow nurse as we leave the medical wing.

"So how is training to be a nurse?" I ask.

Kaitlyn lights up "it has been great, everything I ever dreamed it would be. Nichole has been really helpful in teaching me and the others I can't wait till I get my pink badge."

The walk to the mess hall is filled with Kaitlyn explaining her training. It is quite interesting and different from my medical training as a forager, but she is going to be a nurse so it makes sense.

The next morning no raider or foraging teams got to leave. It snowed so much that the vehicles have to be dug out. Most of the day is spent practicing in the arena with zombies in the snow. The arena is a wooden fence with obstacles inside. There are trees, slides, ropes, and anything to practice luring a zombie around.

It was fun to lure a zombie into the snow. But very concerning that, they don't get hindered by it they just plow through. The zombies as we have learned don't decompose or get affected by the cold. Animals luckily don't seem to get infected just humans. So we're we have to boil water to drink they can drink it straight.

By the end of the day, my whole team and I are shocked. Kevin makes a joke on our way back to the base causing Jacob and Dylan to fall face first in the snow laughing. "You might want to stop before your tears freeze to your face, " Catty says making them laugh harder.

We walk past the sentries into the base. "Okay I say a nice boiling hot shower is a must right now, I swear my toes are not even attached to my feet right now" Dustin screeches teeth clacking.

We all laughed but agree wholeheartedly. We part ways with the girls and boys going to their respective bathrooms. The hot water slides down my face pleasingly. "I swear I am not made for the cold yet I live in Canada" Catty grumbles. Chuckling I shake my head finishing my shower.

Brushing my hair I attempt to blow dry it with the hand dryer as I can't dry it using my abilities sadly. Diana stands at the door with a playful smile "whoever gets to the mess hall last as to clean all of our dishes." she takes off the door soon after. Carol, Catty, Kate, Jean, and I stand there staring at each other before rushing to the door.

We all burst through the door to the mess hall with Jean coming in last. "Haha, I don't have to clean the dishes. Hey look they have soup." I say quickly running over to the food line grabbing some soup.

Sitting beside Diana Jean grumbles taking a seat across from us. "You cheated you left without counting when to go."

Diana looks at her innocently eating her soup. "I have no clue what you are talking about." Jean sighs eating her soup as the rest of our team takes a seat.

My friends come in soon after joining us at our table. After some quick introductions conversation starts up. Dinner is nice eating with all my friends.