Chapter 29

Rubbing my face I turn my eyes back to my map. Going through my memory from this summer I mark down a possibly good area by a small creek. Three more areas to mark for tomorrow.

I can't stop thinking about what I saw at Enya's house. That girl is so strong to go through that.

I have seen many blood baths but the thought of a ten-year-old seeing their family get slaughtered doesn't sit well with me. Every time I went hunting with the supernatural hunters to destroy bad groups we always got the kids out before things got too messy. But no one was there to do the same thing for Enya which makes it so much worse.

Snap out of it Kaindra focus on this right now. Shaking my head I return to my marking. So far almost every area I have checked by water has been pretty good. Marking down two more possible places by water I think about mud types and markdown one last place in a meadow.

"Done now I am ready for tomorrow." Blowing a piece of hair out of my eyes I fold up my map. It's almost time for bed. Standing up I stretch my stiff muscles. Exiting the small library I turn off the lights as I walk out.

Two days, two days since I went to Enya's house and I am still stuck up about it. Yes I am still doing my job and I am still doing it well but I just have a terrible feeling. We are two weeks into winter meaning two weeks till December. It was a late winter this year.

But come on no matter how much death you see you should still have a heart. My sensitive spot is family, after seeing Enya and bringing her to my family she has become a part of my family. I barely know her but I can tell already that she will be a very important person to me. I might just be overly protective of her but come on who wouldn't be?

Gently slapping my face I snap out of my thoughts. I was so engrossed in them I forgot I was going to my room. Quietly opening the door I slip inside. The others are already sleeping. Changing silently I slip into bed. "Sleep well, guys" I whispered closing my eyes.

Checking my map again I jog to the marked creek. Checking the plants at the edge I mark the closest tree. One last place to check on my map before I finish all of the marked spots. Today has been a good day, all the areas I marked last night are very well stocked with fresh greens.

Dropping into my favourite looped speed I move to the meadow. I chose a farther one for its very good dirt. I have learned that the good areas in winter are meadows and creeks or rivers. The wet mud helps the plants grow and the creeks and the warmth of the meadow keep the plants alive. But it makes them targets for mice.

I check all over the meadow to make sure most of it is still clean. Marking a tree I turn around looking at the snow-covered meadow. Five good areas in the first hour are enough to keep them busy for a day or two.

Deciding to have some fun I run to find some zombies. All summer we attempted to trap a quick with no success. They are so rare you are lucky or unlucky in most cases to see one. Studying zombies is more than difficult when they are chasing after you. So only common knowledge and observation are what we are rolling with.

Plus we don't have a scientist in the base or a lab. Testing for a cure would be impossible. So I like to do my tests when I can.

I spot two zombies in the distance. They haven't spotted me yet so I climb into the trees. Jump silently through the branches I rest on a thick branch above them. Dropping the earth into a pit the two zombies fall in. Zombies used to be human and judging by the heartbeat they are not dead.

From watching others turn the body doesn't die the brain changes in some way. Thank you, Jordan for the extra science lessons. But before the science lab in Winnipeg fell they told us that exact explanation. That the virus doesn't kill the host it kills most of the brain leaving the movement and eating part of the brain intact.

But it does change what they eat. They can't think or talk. All they do is growl or snarl if they make noise. The virus also speeds up their healing. They can break a leg and in a week it is healed not well as they don't stop moving. So the virus enhances their healing, and smell, but destroys the thinking part of the brain.

After we got that transmission the mystery of them not decaying came to light. But it also doesn't explain why a shot to the head doesn't kill them. That's something I don't think we will ever figure out.

I watch the zombies move around the small pit I made. Slowly shrinking it I watch what they do. Once they can only move when touching one another they start whacking at each other. I watch with fascination as they snark and hit each other. Rising the earth back up they stop once they realize they are not cramped anymore.

Science experiment for the day done I swing through the trees. Before dropping out of their sight.
Continuing on the ground I head farther out on my search for good patches of greens.

"Then they started to hit each other. And only stopped once they realized they could move around again." I lean back into my seat picking at my salad.

Liam, Sam, Jen, Kaitlyn, Diana, and I are eating super well talking about our day. Liam leans back in his seat his face troubled. "So the zombies will hit each other is annoyed enough?" I nod with my mouth full. "Never thought I would hear that but not the strangest thing I've ever heard recently."

I stuff my face with my salad before smiling. "Eww, Kain you look like an ugly chipmunk," Jen says leaning away from me.

I swallow my food turning a playful glad at her. "What did you say, missy? I think someone needs to be taught a lesson." Jen screeches attempting to get away from me. Today was not her lucky day as she was sitting directly beside me.

"Help help, please...st-st-stop that tic-tick-tickles ahh hahaha." Jen wiggles in her seat laughing. I stop soon after not wanting her to throw up.

"That's what you get for calling me an ugly chipmunk." Jen slumps in her seat breathing hard.

"Next..huh time warn me."

I shake my head "hmm nope that takes all the fun away."

She slumps even more "not for me it makes me feel better." Jen pouts like a child.

"Jen if you lighten up I will give you a cookie." Instantly Jen shoots up in her seat beaming.

"Cookie when?" what kind?"

"Same as last time." She cheers bouncing in her seat as she finished her food.

The others turn to me "when did you give her a cookie and how did you get one?"

My eyes widen "ah oh." All of them grin evilly. "Oh shit."