Chapter 20

After leaving the small community I took off in a fast sprint to Shilo. I would fly but it's better to show up running and it saves me time so I don't have to land before going to the gates. The morning air is crisp with the last of the morning dew. Taking a deep breath I relish the clean air as I run.

Due to the lack of cars being driven and factories running out of power the air is slowly getting cleaner. Being far away from the city helps as there were fewer people out here beforehand.

Judging by my speed I should be able to get to Shilo by lunchtime with one stop. The letter from Mike safely tucked into my backpack I smile. More people could be out there surviving just like we are if we find more settlements we can return slightly to a more concrete way to live. Trade routes can be made we might even be able to write letters back and forth to others varying them like I am Mike.

Jumping in joy I pick up my speed. Thoughts of people milling around happy to see a letter from a loved one they thought gone flashed through my mind. An hour before I reach Shilo I stop. Taking a quick drink of water I rest my back on a tree. Rummaging through my bag I pull out my last blood bag.

Luckily at the settlement, no one looked through my bag, but with being gone more than a month they might at Shilo. Sighing I savour the last of the blood. Guess I'm back to animal blood now. Pushing off the tree I shake out my body. Time to go back, jumping into a jog I move closer to the road.

If a bus comes by from Shilo I might be able to get a ride back. Jogging along the side of the road I spread my hearing and sight as I am now calling the glowing thing, checking if any people are close by. The busses do come out this far as it is a shorter distance in a vehicle than on foot.

Sadly no vehicle passes. It does make sense if any foraging groups were to come out this far they would be staying till after lunch. Rounding the last bend in the road Shilo's gates come into view past the trees. Slowing my pace once I am halfway down the road. A normal person would be unable to maintain the pace I was at let alone do it and not look tired.

Slowly I come closer to the gates. The guards at the front have moved to intercept me so I won't barge past them. I slow into a walk stopping in front of the closed gate. I hold up the badge that I put on after I left the human settlement. "Kaindra you have been gone for a long time we thought you were dead." one of the guards says opening the gate.

I laugh patting him on the shoulder once I walk in. " It's nice to see you again man, yes I have been gone for a while. I saw one of my closest friends turn and get killed it did a number on me I had to go for some time to clear my head." I say sadly picturing Jordan's face.

He looks at me sympathetically "I'm sorry for your loss that must have been hard?" he says patting my shoulder sadly.

I nod "yea it was but I'm back now that's all that matters." I say placing my hand over his in thanks. He smiles at me nodding his head. We know each other from a few big runs we did at farms when some guards accompanied us to watch for zombies. We became friendly acquaintances.

"Come on my shift is over now so I can lead you to the nurses for a check-up," he says nodding his head for me to follow him. I smile waving goodbye to the other guard.

Neil and I drop into a friendly conversation as we walk. We talk about what they did after I left and the new precautions in place for any new people. "Wait so you're saying that I have to have a rope around my ankle for the first week just in case I turn so I can't get off the bed?" I ask, he nods his head. "That is so smart why didn't we think of that before" I explain running a hand over my ponytail.

He laughs shaking his head at my antics. He shrugs silently saying he has no clue. We continue like that going over what I did well I was gone. I left out going to Bellas, finding Enya, and killing the wolves thought. "Wait so you're telling me you found another human settlement?" he asks looking at me with wide eyes.

It was my turn to laugh at his reaction. "Yes," I say laughing.
He runs a hand through his hair in disbelief.

"Wow," he says.

I cover my mouth to hide my chuckle. We reach the med wing waving goodbye to each other as he turns to leave. "Kaindra is that you?" Nichole blurts out. Running up to my side Nichole pulls me into a checking hug. "We all thought you were one of the people dead," she says releasing me.

"Well, I am here so I don't think I am dead," I say she shakes her head smiling softly.

" Let's get you checked out," she says leading me over to a curtained-off area. " It's the same as when you first came in," she says. Nodding I take off my clothes till I am in my undergarments.

Prepared for this before she went around me to check on me I compel her to forget ever seeing a bite mark on my body. So when she goes around me poking me in certain areas she never notices the bite on my shoulder.

"You're all clear, it has been great to see you again Kaindra stop by any time." She says as I get dressed.

"Please call me K or Kain," I say. She smiles hugging me before we leave the room. We talk for a little bit before I excuse myself to go take a shower.

Walking into the women's bathroom closest to the med wing, I place my bag on the hook outside a shower stall. Grabbing some clean clothes from my bag I enter my stall. Placing my clothes in the dry bag I strip before cleaning. Watching the mud and blood wash out of my hair is a sight to see.

I dress after drying myself leaving my stall. Placing my clothes into the laundry bin I go over to a sink to brush my wet hair. Spotting myself in the mirror I drop my hairbrush. Thankfully no one else was in here at the moment or they would be asking questions for my odd behaviour.

Nothing has changed in my appearance it is still me looking back at myself in the mirror. My hair is still dark brown with its hidden colours. My face is still the same, but my eyes, my eyes are different.

Staring back at me is me but the eyes are not. Instead of them being dark brown some mistake for black. Pale silver eyes staring at me. They are surrounded by black around the edges so they don't mix with the whites of my eyes too much. They are so brightly silver they almost look like they are glowing.

Almost like a full moon on a cloudless night.

Why has no one asked me why my eyes have changed? It is a considerable change to go from dark eyes to the light that it has to be noticeable. They are also an unnatural colour people have to have noticed. Unless since my eyesight is also unnatural that at a glance they might look like a very light blue or grey.

When did they change? And did anything else change that I do not know about?