Chapter 38

Unease settled in the base for the next few weeks. After the sudden death of a base member people, we're worried about being jumped. As they should be. Two more deaths accord over the next week. The worry settled down a few days later as there have been no signs of more deaths. My worry has not settled down.

This is what I overheard. One death is not enough to scare people. The question is when will they hit next?

"Kaindra Kaindra KAINDRA" jumping in my seat I turn to Diana.

Scrunching my face I stare at her "what?"

Diana tilts her head at me "you were distracted again."

"Oh sorry, what were you saying?" I breathe.

"We were asking you what you were doing tomorrow?"

"Oh ahh, nothing just the normal scouting and such," I say returning to my thoughts.

Diana turns to the rest at the table raising an eyebrow. "Kaindra are you alright you have been distracted lately, what's going on?" Kaitlyn asks reaching over the table for my hand.

Looking up at her I give her a struggled smile. "Nothing everything's fine."

Shooting me a displeased look Kaitlyn squeezes my hand. "No everything is not fine you have been more distracted the past few days than I have seen you in school. What is going on?"

Turning my hand over I squeeze her hand smiling. "Nothing I think I am just tired that's all. Your guy's worry is appreciated though."

Sighing Kaitlyn releases my hand meaning back into her chair. Everyone around the table continues conversing with me. Leaning onto the library table I rest my head in my hands.

Everything fades away around me. What are those witches, demons, and vampires planning? Why are they doing this? Most importantly how did they get in?

The barrier is not broken and has been undisturbed other than that one time. More than half of that group has found a good place in the base. But by the looks of it, the rest seem to have but they are more distant than the rest.

Don't get me wrong being distant is fine. But they are purposely distancing themselves. Almost like they don't want to make a connection with the people in the base. With a connection, they have the chance to betray or not succeed in their end goal. But that is just a guess.

Ahhh why, why can't I figure this out, it's driving me crazy.

I hope my family is alright. I haven't found the time to go and see them. Christmas is coming up fast. I can't believe how long it has been. My family loves Christmas. We get together with Bella and Jordan now as they have become part of the family. Honorary members Everly would always say.

We had Christmas at their house last year for Josh, Jaylin, and Everly. Jordan and I saved them a few months before Christmas and thought it would be a good idea to have us all together. It helped them. That was the first time we saw them smile. After that, we promised to make it a tradition to have Christmas altogether.

Now we have Enya there we can make this Christmas just as special for her.

Looking up I face the whole table. "When are we having the Christmas party?"

Jen and Sam's faces light up. "Next week, we called back all the trader groups so we can have a big Christmas party." Jen and Sam's squeal bouncing in their seats.

Liam grabs Sam's waist holding her down "whoa their tiger settle down."

Sam pouts crossing her arms. "You never let me have fun."

"I let you have fun but this is a library and you need to be quiet. That goes for you too Jen." Liam gives Jen a pointed look as he pulls Sam closer. Jen sticks her tongue out at him.

Sam brushes a swift kiss on Liam snuggling into his side. Liam brushes Sam's hair gently as she leans into his side. Jen rolls her eyes "love birds got to stop rubbing it into our faces." Jen mumbles under her breath.

Snickering into my hand quietly I slide down into my chair putting my feet on Kaitlyn's lap. Kaitlyn pushes my feet off her lap ruffly nearly making me fall out of my chair. "Move your feet girl I ain't no footstool."

"Why your legs are the perfect height for me to lay in the chair."

She sticks her tongue at me dramatically. Returning the gesture I put my feet back on her lap. Kaitlyn sighs scooting over to put my feet on her chair. Following her gesture, I make room for her feet. Kaitlyn puts her feet up beside me smiling.

"Hey did you guys hear about what is happening to some of the girls?" Jen whispers we all shake our heads. "Well apparently girls are going with that Damon guy and when they come out they are all woozy like they are drunk. And they can't remember what happened."

Shooting up in my seat I lean on the table closer to Jen. "What did you say?"

"Girls are going with Damon and coming out"

"No no I heard you, is that true?"

"I believe so I saw one of the girls walk out of a closet with Damon behind her. She was swaying and was unsteady on her feet." Jen stops looking at my face with worry.

I swear under my breath looking at all of them intensely. "Stay away from him if he tries to have you follow his decline. If he posters you or tries to force you to clear your mind of any bad thoughts and leave to a public place."

Jen scrunches up her face "why?"

Looking eyes with Jen she crumples up under my gaze. "He is a demon they feed off of bad energy and can drain you dry of emotion like a vampire to blood. Stay away from him."

Jen nods a frightened look in her eyes. A heavy silence blankets the space around us. Diana claps her hands drawing all attention to her. "Well how about we stray from that topic and return to the Christians party."

Sam and Jen's faces light up. Quick conversation strays from the dark topic to the happy day of the Christmas party. Topics of what food is going to be served music and clothes are shot across the table.

We go through our past Christmas celebrations and stories. Laughter and smiles rain down lighting up all our faces. The past topic is forgotten we pass the hour with smiles. Christmas cheer is in the air.