Chapter 42

Damon listens intently to my plan. He is going to be our inside man. I won't go into very much detail as he understands that I need to bring it up with the others first. But we start with a simple plan.

He relays any information to me and I relay it to the others. He tries to not hurt or drain people but if he does I come in to reverse what he did as a safety measure.

A few minutes later we exit the closet. Turning back to him I stop him "wait how did you know it was me and not a human?"

"Oh, it was simply your name is unique so once I heard it and waited to observe you I figured it out quickly." He smiles proudly at his detective skills.

Running a hand through my hair a let out the breath I was holding. "Thank goodness I thought for a second, my human disguise was losing its touch."

I turn to leave but stop at his call. "Wait Kaindra how do you hide your vampire smell and aura."

"That's a secret for another time" I wink waving goodbye over my shoulder. I leave him standing there as he snaps out of his thoughts and leaves for his room.

Entering my room I close the door quietly to not distribute the snoring forms. Checking the time my eyes widen. It's three in the morning. Getting ready for bed I push my run to five. Wanting to get at least a few hours of shut-eye before I go out.

Walking down the hall I hum a small tune. It's seven in the morning but the halls are silent. The morning bell got turned off to let people sleep in from the last night. Jobs have been postponed today so it's a free day. Only everyday jobs are still working like cooking, feeding the animals, cleaning, and the like.

Anyone who doesn't have anything to do is suggested to help the people who do.

Taking a left turn I head to the kitchens. Pushing open the doors stacks of pots and pans line the counters. Five people are already wiping and drying the dishes. Smiling at the people I find an open sink. Rolling up my sleeves I fill the sink with warm soapy water. Grabbing a pot I begin cleaning.

The other people chat happily with each other. Four women and one man occupied the other sinks. Two women talk speedily with each other jumping topics from the topic.

The other woman and man talk slower with each other, joining the chirpy woman now and again. I join in the conversations when they flip to topics of interest. Mostly I just stay quiet enjoying the company.

Another cook joins beside me grabs the dishes I cleaned and begins drying. Sharing a smile he smiles back at me. "So you're a forager, you like the job?" He asks conversationally.

Nodding my head I hand him the pan I finished cleaning. "Yes, I do very much. Do you enjoy cooking?"

He nods his head smiling at me. He looks to be in his mid twenty's, judging from his hands he has been a cook for a long time. "I do it's my passion to cook. I use to cook with my mum when I was little, she kind of raised me into it." He smiles at the mention of his mother.

"She sounds like a lovely woman."

He nods his head sadly "she was. She died last year before the zombies came, cancer."

"My condolences"

He smiles "thank you that means a lot."

I smile continuing my work. We stay silent enjoying the flow as we listen to the others talk. We talk with the others for the next hour as we clean.

Handing my partner the last pan I pull the plug out of the sink. Drying my wrinkly hands I wave to the people in the kitchen walking out. By now it's almost nine so my friends should be awake.