Chapter 11

August is rolling around in a few days. I can't believe our lives have changed so much in the past month and a half. Zombies came, people other than my family know what I am, and just life has changed in general.

The new people have adjusted to how things run here well. Some still are trying to find where they fit to help in the community. Most who come in chose jobs that involve staying begin the fences from their experience with zombies.

I'm walking to the classroom to check in with the teacher and see my friends. Stopping at the door I lightly knock on the frame to get the teacher's attention. "Hello Kaindra, please come in. Why might you stop by?" Ms.Jones asked. Walking into the room I make my way over to the front of the room where ms. Jones stands.

"I am making round to all the classrooms for any recommendations on what the people might like us to pick up or start growing," I say stopping in front of the teacher in a professional stance. Feeling all the stares from my old classmates on my uniform I remain in my professional manner.

Give me a kind smile ms. Jones replies kindly. "Well, that's very kind of the foragers. Do you need it right now or by the end of the day?"

"The end of the days fine, we just want to make sure that the people are happy with what they are eating especially with winter coming in a couple of months.

"You can give me a stack of paper or people's requests written down and I can give it to the former leader later today. The requests can not be junk food or anything that can not be preserved or used effectively for meals. Anything that would need to be taken from stores can be on there as well just handed to the raiders."

"If you don't mind waiting for a few minutes we could get that done now." She asks I nod my response moving over to the table with my friends. "Well, you heard her class right down on a piece of paper any food requests that are not junk food you might want."

Grumbling at the no junk food part the class starts talking about what food they might want. Junk food ran out in the first month from binging on the stuff. The following week was rough due to sugar withdrawal. But hey it's better for everyone we can have a more balanced as healthy eating habits since we need good energy to stay alive.

"Hey, Kain we never asked you what training you got," Liam asks once I sit down.

"Well, I got zombie evasion and defence as well as hunting training and edible and medicinal plant identification and medical training for in the field. I also did some raider training on the side just for emergencies." with my response they get back to their work.

Breaking the silence our all-going talkative friend Jen speaks up. "Hey did you guys hear about the new people?"

"Yay I helped bring them in they found us on one of our runs at a farm," I explain.

"Did they tell you about what happened? I heard they got ambushed by a hoard of zombies when getting here how do we know they aren't infected." Jen whispers pushing her paper to me.

"They weren't ambushed they just got caught off hard but they git away. Plus they got checked up by the nurses first thing when they got here. Don't worry they're just some scared people looking for safety that's all." I assure grabbing their papers as they finish.

Soon I exit the class with another stack of papers. Moving down the halls I go into building three where the offices are located. Dropping off the papers I leave swiftly finished my job. I have the rest of the day off for a break day. Leaving the building I make my way outside. Unsure of what to do I walk around the track enjoying the feeling of the sun on my face. Spotting an open tree I change course to rest.

Settling under the tree I close my eyes taking deep breaths. It's a calm day today, especially with most people inside. Taking a deep breath I decide to do some meditation as well as practice some earth skills. Sitting up straight I start by focusing on my breathing to settle down into a calm blank state. Tapping into my earth connection I reach into the tree and ground around me opening up a connection to all the living things around me. Smiling I move around in my mind's eye to the tree behind me. Knocking slightly to not disturb it I slide into its essence. Once in I can see and feel what it is feeling.

You see plant life and the earth is old even new trees flowers or grass all come from an old counterpart, so from tapping into even a blade of grass I can feel the earth down to its core not fully but slightly. Sometimes if I push myself to the point of feeling like I will just get pulled completely out of my body I can see the earth's core and feel it beating like a heart. Mostly I can see the connection it has to every living thing it moves around the earth like small veins of green conducting to everything it is quite beautiful.

But the process can not be done unless I concentrated which is why I mostly do it when meditating. It is when the mind is the clearest. But it also takes a toll since I am not an earth caster only part one and earth is not my strongest element so I can't do it fully. It also leaves me vulnerable since it takes so much focus.

Once I have a stable connection to the tree I check on it as well as the plant's in the surrounding area. Most of them need water but are quite happy. If I wanted to I could ask the tree to give me some energy. I don't like doing often since I feel like I am taking part in its life no matter how many times they say they are fine with it.

I feel something shaking me so I pull out gently but quickly and slowly my senses come back to me. "Kain, Kain, KAINDRA" covering my sensitive ears in pain I recoil from the annoying noise.

"What what what you do know my ears are quite sensitive after I do that and I am not in control of how much I hear," I say annoyed at who yelled at me turning a glare in their direction.

The said assailant raises their hands in surrender. "Hey you were very out of it and we just wanted to get your attention it's past dinner. What were you even doing?"

Focusing fully I realize the sun has set and my friends are standing around me. "Wow I always forget how fast time passes when I do that." after speaking They all raise their eyebrows Jen only one. Widening my eyes I remember they have no clue what I was doing. "Oh sorry, that takes a toll on me. I was meditating well using my earth power to connect with the earth around me to check up on them as well as practice it."

Nodding they help me stand up as I lean on them for support. "Wow, I have never seen you this tired before. Is it that tiring?" Kaitlyn asks worriedly. All I do is nod. "How long have you been out here?"

Thinking I turn my head to her before answering. "Judging by the look of it maybe six hours would make sense with how tired I am."

Their jaws go slack "Six hours you have been sitting there for six hours?" Jen says shocked.

"Ruffly I sometimes sit there for a day longest almost three days when I needed the practice." Disbelief washed over their games at my statement. Slowly we walk to the buildings. "Can we just go to bed I should be good without food till morning I just need to sleep" I say? They nod in understanding before helping me up to our room saying good night to Liam.

I fall into a deep sleep almost instantly.