Chapter 37

It's been a week more than a week actually, and nothing has happened. Hopefully, they gave up on their plans. Diana has had no luck in getting information. The barrier is also completely intact. Whatever they did to get in they left no trace.

Each of the people has adjusted nicely to the base. This is concerning from the conversation I overheard. Most of them seem nice from my encounters throughout the week. But never judge a book by its cover. As long as they are nice and participate in running the base they are good to me. Some like Damon seem off which does concern me. They are nice, yes but they have this presence about them that concerns me.

I still don't know the identities of the people I heard talking to. I know there were the five witches but I don't know who they are. The vampire I saw but the demon I didn't.

Jen scurries down the hall with me blabbering on and on. "No Jen our senses are heightened not our emotions. And no we do not have mates those are fake. Werewolves don't even have mates." I sigh pinching the bridge of my nose.

"Yes you have said that but could you imagine falling in love with a vampire? And if they had mates being one it would be the love of the century." Jen says dreamily.

"Shush Jen not in the hall there are ears everywhere." I shush her pulling her along.

Jen pouts "so grabby aren't yeah. What has your pants in a twist."

I sigh letting her go and slowing my pace. "Nothing just thinking too much you don't have to worry." I wave her off. We continue walking slower now. Jen babbles on about random things as we walk. A man walks past us flicking his eyes in our direction eyeing Jen.

I place my hand on Jens's shoulder protectively watching him walk down the hall. Jen stops talking watching me. Turning on my sight I see that he is a vampire. He looks into my eyes as I watch him. He stumbles in his step once we lock eyes. I don't take my eyes off him until he is out of sight.

Relaxing I take my hand off Jens's shoulder. I look at her tilting my head "what?"

She shakes her head "you should probably be careful." She says continuing our walk.

I look at her confused "why?"

Jen looks at me smirking "you don't know. Every time you turn on your sight your eyes flash a brighter grey. It shocks people seeing it. It even happens when you get riled up."

My face scrunches up "really I never noticed."

She giggles "how can you when your eyes are in your head."

I laugh "point made, now I think this is your stop." I motion to the kitchen.

"Why yes it is, see you later" Jen waves marching into the kitchen. Loud cheers are heard as Jen enters. Smiling I continue my way out the back doors to the gate.

My power stirs uneasily inside me. Something happened and it's not good. I smile at the sentries exiting the gate. Brushing off the feeling I jog to the trees. I will find out soon, it can't be that bad.

Jogging down the road I spot a big brown bump. Slowing to a stop I pear into the trees. Three deer graze not far into the trees. We have been missing deer meat for some time. Checking my watch I see that Kevin should be heading out soon.

Slowly grabbing my bow I nock an arrow. Taking a big circle around them I let out a shrill whistle. Scaring them into movement they run to the road. I give chase running after them. These are fast little buggers but I am faster. Herding them down the road I lost my arrow into the closes deer hitting the side of its neck.

The deer falls gasping. I continue after the other two. Pulling out another arrow I shot the next deer in the leg. The deer trips falling onto the road. I stop pulling out one of my knives slicing its throat putting it out of its misery. I let the other deer go as these two are a decent size.

I go and check on the first deer. Pulling out my arrow I clean it before putting it back with the others. Pulling out my walkie I call in "Kaindra to Kevin over."

A beep meets me a few seconds later "Kevin over."

"I have two deer on the South Road in need of pick up over."

"Well, come for pick up over."

"Got it over and out." I put my walkie talking back in its pocket. Checking my other arrow I clean it and fix the arrowhead before putting it back. I check the surrounding area for any possible patches.

The sound of a cranky bus comes down the road. I stand beside the deer waiting for the bus to come into view. The bus and a truck come to a stop in front of me. People rush out to check the area. Kevin walks over to me as others go to skin and load the deer.

"Well, when you said you had two years I was not expecting two big deer. How long did you chase them?" Kevin asks eyeing the carcasses.

Chuckling I pat Kevin on the back "I was lucky they were close to the road. Trying to shoot two deers well-running in winter is hard they were fast."

Kevin nods "I bet. Any spots close by we can look at?"

"One right over there a mile in." I point to our left.

Kevin nods watching the last of the deer get loaded. "Thanks for the tip. Well, I better let you go before the mice eat all the good latches before you can find them."

Giving Kevin one last smile I wave to my teammates jogging down the road.

The base comes into view. People are huddling around the south building. I tilt my head confused. Stopping beside a guard I turn to her "what's going on?"

She turns to me at my question with a saddened look. "One of the mechanics was found dead in the hall. No one knows what happened."

My eyes widen I try to look over the mass of people with no success. This must be what they were talking about scaring the people. "When did this happen?" I ask the lady.

"The body was found ten minutes ago when he didn't come back to his station. One of his teammates found him." She says sadly. The crowd disperses once the commanders come.

I walk with the rest of the crowd away. My heart sinks, someone is dead how did I allow this to happen? Kaitlyn finds me in the crowd. We go to our room together.

"I can't believe someone is dead," Kaitlyn says laying in her bed.

We sit in silence till supper. The mess hall is quiet with the loss of a fellow base member. His funeral is in two days. I have been put on flower duty. I have to find nice flowers, branches, or grass for the funeral.

I stand with the crowd outside of the fence. Guards and foragers are leading zombies away as the base stands around the funeral. The casket is lowered into a hole. Slowly each person goes over dropping their bundle of dandelions and branches into the hole.

A member of our group has been lost. The air is heavy with sorrow. I walk over to the hole with my friends. "Niech spoczywasz wśród gwiazd," I say dropping my bundle into the hole. My friends say a few words before dropping theirs. We walk away letting the next people go.

Kaitlyn walks beside me "what did you say?"

"I said may you rest among the stars in my mother's language."

Kaitlyn gives me a small smile "that's beautiful."

I smile back at her wrapping my arm around her shoulders as we walk. Jen comes to my other side doing the same to me. Sam and Liam go beside Jen as Diana goes beside Kaitlyn. Together we walk back through the gates.