Chapter 31

A witch and angel walk into the mess hall looking around the room rapidly. I watch cautiously as they spot our table hurrying over. Eyes trained on me I sit up straighter in my chair. I look at them concerned. " Hey, guys, what's going on?"

Nervously they look at the others at the table. "It's okay you can say it in front of them."

They nod shakily leaning closer to me. "We got a disturbance on the southern border. It feels like magic attempting to break through the barrier." They stand back twiddling their thumbs.

I turn to them giving them a small smile. "I will check it out tonight, don't worry I won't let them get in." They sigh relaxing saying their goodbyes they leave to their tables.

It has been nice ever since the meeting. The angels and witches have been mingling instead of staying in two different groups.

Diana leans over to me "is that the first disturbance?" She whispers.

I nod "yeah, it was bound to happen sooner or later." I shrug finishing my food.

Jen looks at me confused "what was that about?"

I swallow quickly silently debating on telling them. I turn to Diane for help she nods encouragingly. I laugh nervously scratching my head. "Well did I not tell you about the other witches and angles in the base?" I ask they shake their heads. "Oh well, there are probably a dozen or so witches and angles in the base. They placed two barriers to help protect the base. There was a disturbance on the south side and they notified me so I could check it out."

Their eyes widen "you mean they were supernatural people like you?" Kaitlyn asks I nod over my cup.

I spot Diana smirk in my peripheral. Turning to her I raise my eyebrow at her. She only smiles turning to the others " I am one too." My eyes widen at her statement.

Jen shoots up grabbing Diana's shoulders. "You are supernatural?"

Diana nods "yes I am half-angle half-human."

Jen's jaw drops "dam." Diana gently grabs Jen's hands guiding her back to her seat.

"How about we drop this topic and move on you guys will figure it out," I say, Kaitlyn, nods still eating her food. Jen is too shocked at Diana being half-angle to think properly. Liam and Sam aren't paying attention to us.

Kaitlyn turns to Liam and Sam "okay I know you guys aren't trying to hide your relationship but please keep it down well I try to eat."

Sam jumps at being addressed. She blushes to turn to her food. "Sorry" she whispers, I chuckle at her best red face. Sam throws a dandelion which I catch in my mouth. She sighs finally touching her food. I grin at her as she ignores me.

Liam drops an arm around Sam's shoulders. He plucks a piece of her bread off her plate ignoring his food. Sam turns a glair at him "that was my food, Liam."

He grins swallowing the bread "and now it is in my stomach."

Kaitlyn turns to address Liam. "Hey, Liam you might want to learn that touching a girl's food without permission is a death sentence."

Liam frowns dropping his arm from Sam. "Not if it's my girlfriends." Liam tries to grab some more bread from Sam's plate.

Sam smacks his hand away "eat your food, not mine." Liam tries to grab again only to get smacked on the head. "I'm being nice here Liam eat your food." Liam gulps pulling his plate in front of him. Sam smiles turning back to her plate. "Now that lady's is how you protect your food."

I smile checking the time jumping out of my seat I stand. "Got to go those plants won't scout themselves." I wave leaving the mess hall.

Dropping from the tree at the southern border. The barrier is an invisible shield that you can't see but feel if you are part supernatural. Any human with very diluted blood will just feel a buzz. It is so any supernaturals will get the hint that this base is protected and to leave if they mean harm.

If they don't and they do mean harm the barrier will block their path shocking them. If they keep trying they will get burned, some try so hard they die. It's not a pretty sight.

Turning on my sight I look around. The barrier has some purple and white glows signifying that angles and witches made it. Ignoring the barrier I close my eyes pushing my sight out. Animals sleep or roam the night. No other beings are around. Opening my eyes I walk to the other side of the barrier.

"What did they feel?" I crouch down looking for prints. The moon's glow assists me in giving off enough light to see. The ground brightens showing four pairs of prints. All humans, "so people were here."

Standing up I move deeper into the trees. Still no humans or supernatural in my range. Stopping a mile away from the barrier I push my sight farther. A small headache inches forward the farther I push my limits. Stopping two miles past my limit I hold it looking around. Closing my eyes I focus on the edges.

Flickering in the distance is five purple glows with around a hundred black and red and blood red glows. There could be more out of my reach but from what happened at my carelessness last time I ain't pushing that far. Dropping my sight I take in deep breaths of air.

Turning back to the base I slowly jog back. Hopefully, those witches and what I guess are vampires and demons don't try anything on the base. A slight headache has started but nothing out of the ordinary that shouldn't go away by morning.

Diana meets me at the loading dock. "So what did you find at the barrier last night?"

Strapping my bow into my bag I lean against the wall. "Four footprints, when I went out farther I found five witches with hundreds of vampires and demons. They were probably ten or so miles from the base. Let's just hope they don't decide to try and cause trouble."

Diana nods her eyes glazing over probably relaxing what I said to the other angles. "Okay, at least the barriers are intact and not damaged. We can only hope they don't try anything we can't control them so it's in God's hands."

I pat Diana on the shoulder as I pass. "It is let's hope he is on our side."

Diana's face scrunches up "you believe in God?"

I turn to her shaking my head "no but I do know there is something out there just don't know what. Call it fate call it god I believe they do everything for a reason to help us. I just can't say what it is, so I am a semi believer just not religious."

She nods waving me off with a smile. Jogging to the fence I begin scouting. The sky is clear the sun is out and the birds are chirping. What a lovely day it is.

And I jinxed it two days after talking with Diana at the loading dock it snowed and snowed and snowed. I swear the snow won't stop. I haven't scouted for a day no one has left the base. The snow is piling up so much that we might have to dig the snow out just to open the doors.

So much for a lovely day, all I see is white. Can the snow just stop?