Chapter 48

Children's laughing echo's loud and clear in my ears. Enya can't hear them yet but I hope she gets along with the kids. The room is bright when I push the door open, three kids are running around playing with toys as the teacher stands by watching. She lifts her head spotting us at the door. "Come in come in, it's lovely to see you Kaindra."

Smiling I give her a small hug "you as well Clarice."

She returns my hug affectionately "what brings you to me today?"

"This is Enya she is going to be joining your class when I am not here."

Clarice turns to Enya bending down to her level "hi Enya I am Ms. Miller but I prefer if you call me Clarice."

Enya gives her a small wave hiding behind my leg. Laughing silently I lay a hand on her head "she is not going to hurt you she is one of the good people in the base, and as our little secret she is also a witch so are the other kids in here."

Enya's eye's light up as she looks at the other kids "can I go play with them?" At my nod she runs off, it's funny how once she knows they are like her she forgets her fears.

"Why did you tell her what we are?" Clarice's question pulls me back into our conversation.

"She needs to know that she is safe here and that she is not the only witch."

Clarice nods in understanding but her eyes tell me a different story, she doesn't get it but doesn't want to argue with me. "So when is she going to be joining us?"

"Hopefully tomorrow but if not the day after that." She nods, and we stand there watching the kids play Enya I still not fully out of her fears but at least she is playing. I stay in a seat by the door as Clarice goes back to the kids to continue her class.

Enya slips right into the class as Clarice teaches. She does keep looking over at me every few minutes I wave at her every time making funny faces. She seems to be enjoying the class to my relief. The time fly's by, next thing I know we are leaving for my new room.

I open the door and take a step back as someone launches at me. Enya screeches hide behind my body. "It's okay little one it's only Sam," that doesn't seem to help much but she does move away from me a little. Turning to Sam I pry her arms off of me "now you why did you latch onto me?"

Fresh tears sit in her eyes once she is a friendly step away from me. "We heard what happened."

swallowing a lump in my throat I take a deep breath looking down at Enya "how about you go and check out our room, you get first dibs on the bed." Sending her a little wink she nods her head running into our room and closing the door behind her. Returning my attention to the three people in front of me my face drops. "Let's talk inside the room" I motion inside, they nod walking.

Liam and Sam take a seat on her bed well Diana leans on the wall. I sit on Sam's empty desk watching my hands in my lap. Minutes pass by with no one making a sound, sighing I drop my head to my chest. "How did you guys find out?"

I don't look up waiting patiently for their response "Diana saw Kaitlyn and Jen again they told her. Why didn't you tell us, Kain?" Sam's voice breaks at the end, I hear her lean into Liam's side as she begins to cry.

Closing my eyes tight I take a deep breath as I look up. Our once bright group of six has been depleted to four in the worst scenario. "I didn't want to tell you, you didn't need to know this is my burden to bear. Nothing can change that their gon...not here anymore. It wasn't just my family either it was Jen's and Kaitlyn's too, they died and we didn't know, Jen and Kaitlyn didn't know."

The wall I built cracks some more, refortifying it I numb as the pain leaves. "Oh Kain you are not alone we are all here for you, we will never leave you, never." Sam stands wrapping her arms around me I hold her tight as she cries. Liam joins in then Diana they came to hold me but I hold them taking their pain as much as I can.

We break apart my shoulder wet from Sam's tears but I ignore it. "I'm okay guys really, I know you would never leave me just like I would never leave you," Unless I had to.

They nod returning to their seats "we know but it never hurts to remind one another that they are not alone." Diana voices our thoughts stepping towards the door " I am going to go for an early dinner any of you want to come?"

Sam shoots up wiping at her dried tears "I am always up for food, come on Liam you are coming with me." Liam grumbles but obliges anyway.

They turn to me their faces already brighter after a good cry "I'll meet up with you guys I am going to make sure Enya is all settled in first before we come."

They nod waving to me as they exit the room. Pushing off the desk I enter the second room, Enya and my room. Enya lays on the top bunk one of my plant study guides in her hands. The room is small but has more walking space than my last one even with the additional dresser. Leaning on the door the numbness vanishes as I smile. "I see you found one of my plant books."

Enya jumps bumping her head on the wall behind her. I chuckle lightly jumping onto my bed as I reach over to her. "Sorry little one didn't mean to scare you that bad," she smiles at me rubbing her head, she looks outside the open door and looks around the other room. "They left for dinner, are you hungry?"

She smiles shaking then nodding her head "I am but can we stay here for a little."

"Of course anything, in particular, you want to do?"

She nods sitting on her knees "can we send Bella a fire message please," I watch as she gives me her puppy dog eyes.

"I don't see why not do you know how?"

She nods bouncing in her bed, I crawl up to sit across from her take some paper out and unfold it "what do you want to say?" She gives me her message and I write my own at the bottom before crumpling the paper into a ball. "Now remember to focus on your energy breathe in and out and only use what you need nothing more. Do you remember the words?"

"Yes I do"

Handing her the note I let her center her focus before she begins to recite the words. "wiadomość przez ogień lub żadna wiadomość nie dotarta do nadawcy do którego chcę zadzwonić..." She repeats them over and over whispering the words as she goes.

I wait patiently keeping an eye on her hands holding the note as it begins to burn, at the ready in case something goes wrong. Eventually, the note burns to ashes disappearing with a flourish. The scent of magic lingers once the note vanishes.

Enya slumps back against the wall. "I told you not to use that much, " I sigh bringing her forward to my side.

"Sorry I'm still learning, " she whispers leaning by my side.

I sigh brushing her hair away from her face. "I know and it will take time, that was really good little one really good."

She smiles getting off of me "I'm hungry now."

Smiling I lean toward her grabbing her sides I begin to tickle her, and she giggles trying to get away "well look here she is hungry." She giggles jumping off the bed and running to the door. I jog after her scooping her up onto my back. She squeals clutching onto my neck.

Laughing bouncing her on my back as I run to the mess hall.

Comment, vote, share