Chapter 12

Screaming that's all I heard, shooting up in my bed. The lights under the door were slightly shadows from people running past. The noise woke everyone else in the room up. Jumping out of my bed I flick the lights on run into the small spaces and getting into my uniform. The foragers wore forest green leather to help blend into the trees and for people to identify us when on base.

"What's going on?" Jen asks frantically getting dressed.

"I don't know whatever it is the whole base is now up. It is ruffly 12 am so people must have been woken up from fright. I am going to go out and help if you guys leave this room keep your eyes open if you don't push the beds in front of the door, it's your choice." I say I am going to have to go to the weapons room to get something to help. We aren't allowed to have weapons on unless we are on duty. I just hope it's not what I think it is.

"Can't you like sense it or not?" Sam asks.

"No, I only have half my energy since I didn't get a full sleep so I am still slightly weak. Remember what I said okay" I say sternly to all of them before making my way out the door.

It's chaos people or running in all directions trying to get out of the building. Screaming can be heard down the left side of the hall causing people to come to bull dosing the other way. "ZOMBIE" someone screams making people attempt to move faster.

No that's exactly what I did not want to have happened, a zombie in the base. The hall is so tight with all people I get dragged into the mass. Gunshots can be heard where the zombie is making it so much louder. Suddenly people stop and attempt to go the other way. Fire is what I hear as people pass zombies as people fight to go both ways.

Looking around I spot a door to another stairwell blocked by boxes. Seeing a raider from a few days ago I yell out his name waving to get his attention. Once he sees me I point to the boxes and we push through the crowd. Some people see what we are doing and help us clear it, once it is clear others see the new exit and the crowd starts to move.

Making it out of the building I run to the weapons room as fast as I can at a human pace. It's crazy in here with people running around in green and grey grabbing weapons of any kind to kill a zombie. Spotting a long hunting dagger that could be called a short sword I grab it and run back into the fray.

Making my way around into the open yard people are everywhere. Zombies in uniforms and pyjamas alike shroud the open grass. Heads can be seen of decapitated zombies of possible friends with more zombies chasing after victims trying to get away. People crowd the tops of trees as well as playground structures out of reach from the zombies below.

Seeing some fellow foragers and raiders out here I go into a building as they are more dangerous for others. Decapitating zombies in the hall a blur moves past me. "Jordan?" I call confused, why would he be here?

"Yay?" he asks coming in front of me.

"Why are you here? What if people saw you" I say beginning to get frustrated at his childlike behaviour.

"Bella told me she felt some disturbances over here and I came to help. For your other worry, no people did not see me they are too focused on the zombies to notice me." He assures me taking a deep breath I nod my head.

"Keep an eye out for others some werewolves and vampires have been watching this place so make sure they don't get in. Be safe" I say putting on his shoulder before continuing my search for zombies.

Pushing a door open I spot a girl with a zombie eating at her neck. Letting out a shrill whistle the zombie turns to me. Cocking my head to the side I inspect this zombie. Its movements are much smoother and quicker than others and its eyes seem to glow slightly in the darkness. Moving to the side the zombie copies my movements before deciding I am a better meal and charges at me. Reacting quickly I dive to the side and swipe with my blade only getting half of its neck. Standing up I prepare for its next advances. Repeating the same process the head goes rolling.

Movement sparks in my peripheral vision, slicing the blade the zombie's head rolls beside the other. "Rest now your fight is over," I say cleaning the blood off the blade before stepping over the bodies and exiting the room.

After clearing the bottom floor Jordan comes to my side. " Top floor has been cleared all survivors are safe" he asserts to me nodding at his response we exit the building closing the doors to keep it clear.

"Hey Jordan I saw this zombie it moved differently," I say as we walk checking the perimeter of the building.

"How so?" he asks.

"Well it moved faster and a smoother less jagged it also followed me as I moved," I say confused killing another zombie. "It was weird and we never got told off a zombie-like that before" I admit.

"You mean like that zombie," he says pointing to one moving the same. I nod and we move towards it. Jordan goes to kill it as I move to help the other people getting cornered.

The sound of a blade on a neck behind me breaks through the noise. Jordan didn't have a blade he used his hands. Whipping around I see his head start rolling. "NNNOOOOO" I scream running up to his body. "No no no this can't be happening not after so many years, not like this" I cry sliding to my knees at his body.

A person comes up behind me placing a soft hand on my shoulder. "It had to be done he was already lost." I refrain from screaming at the person that he was not he was fine I could help him he could come back he was not a zombie. But I stop myself to not publicizing the biggest secret humanity may never know.

I just pick up the body and rock it back and forth crying for the man that helped bring me back from the darkest place I know and became a brother to me when others could not. I cry for the father lost to the triplets and the husband lost for Bella. I cry for the one who brought me back from death more times than I could count. I sit there crying as the person behind me leaves to continue helping others.

Leaning down I push my powers into the ground as a sign to the earth that a new soul will be leaving and joining its garden. Whipping my tears I move to his head keeping it away from the body so it doesn't heal. "I'm sorry old friend that I can't bring you back. You lived a great life and will be missed by many. May we meet in the afterlife one day and reunite with your family." closing his eyes I stand stepping back nodding my head with respect for the life lost.

Pain shots to my shoulder, twisting around the zombie losing its grip on my shoulder. Blood dripping from its jaws, bringing my blade up I cut its head in anger and sorrow before it gets another bite in. Looking to my shoulder I see the wound heal quickly hiding that I got bit. Scanning the area I let out a breath relieved no one saw what happened.

Crouching I inspect the zombie's eyes. Similar to my own when I turn I gasp as I realize that the zombie was a human who had vampire blood in their system when they turned, that's why they are so fast and so rare.

Listening I hear the ends of the slaughter. Making a quick decision I move to the fence and vault over. I have to tell Bella and the kids what happened to Jordan in person, I will come back just not for a few days at least.