Chapter 1

Chapter One

We pull into the driveway of the big, modern family-type house that I've come to love as my mothers house. Starting today, it's my house again too.

The house is just as beautiful as I remember. It has tall windows covering the front, almost like this house has no secrets and can be seen into from miles away. The picture perfect house showcasing a perfect family.

Only, that isn't the case. It's my first day back from spending the past two years with my father. My parents got in a divorce when I was twelve and I've been switching parents every two years since. I still visit the opposite parent of course, my family just isn't the same as it used to be but I've come to terms with it.

Life changes, it's just something that happens with time. It's an uncontrollable, unstoppable cycle that makes things better or worse but you could either be happy with life, or be miserable with existing. I chose option one.

My eyes search the house again, roaming over the structure I haven't seen in so long and never imagined I'd miss as much as I did.

I see the light brown, casual front door with two windows just as tall on either side. A front porch with three steps that lead to the porch swing on the right and a pretty flower pot hanging from the porch ceiling.

"You haven't changed anything," I state.

Mom looks over at me expectantly and I grin.

She's wondering how long it'll take me to want to go inside. My mother knows me better than anyone so she knows how sentimental I am.

Deciding I've had enough view on the outside, I grab Sadie and get out of the car.

Mom and I walk up the porch steps and I take a deep breath to prepare myself for what I'm about to see.

When we get inside it's just as I remember. The walls of the living room are painted a light yellow, brightening up the already illuminated room just a little more.

I don't take time to look at the rest of the house as I let go of Sadie's leash and run upstairs to see my empty room.

I haven't unpacked anything yet, it's all still out in the truck so the only thing I'm able to notice is that Laila, my sister, redid the wall color to be a dark blue.

"Emma, do you want to get dinner before we start on your bedroom?" Mom calls from downstairs and I grin for the second time, excited to explore the town I've spent so long away from.

It's only been two years but when you're away from what feels like home for that long, it feels like a century.

I let Sadie out to the fenced in backyard and mom and I climb into her white SUV.

After only fifteen minutes of driving, we pull up at Urban Stone Tavern.

"Remember this place?" Mom asks, voice sounding giddy.

This was my favorite place to go when I lived with her, they have the best cheeseburgers.

"How could I forget? I nearly die every time I eat here."

When we came here before, it was like a tradition that I'd always choke on something before the meal was over. It just happened a few times by coincidence so now it's kind of a thing with us and I just say it's because the food is so good.

It has nothing to do with the fact I just suck at normal life skills.

Sarcasm, that was sarcasm.

We walk inside and I recognize the smell. It smells like cooked beef and seasonings and my mouth begins to water at the thought of a cheeseburger.

Mom orders a chocolate shake and a side of onion rings and I order a cheeseburger with extra pickles.