Chapter 69

Chapter Sixty Nine

Dr. Johnson begins reading the first name from the list, "Samantha Aaron."

She stands, walking up the stage to receive her diploma.

He calls the next name. Then the next...

Most people aren't making speeches, but some of them are. Not too much thought seems to be put into any of their words though. But they make me laugh.

"Trace Henderson," I watch as he stands up from his chair, walks to the stage confidently. He shakes Dr. Johnson's hand, telling him something before receiving his diploma. He doesn't stop to make a speech but instead, hugs the football coach.

"Abigail Herdy."

Then the next name. Then the next...

"Mason Keal," he shoots me a nervous smile before rising. He walks down the aisle and up the stage.

My heart stops as I realize I'm next.

"Emma Kennedy."

I take a deep breath, feeling the eyes of everyone on me. I'm holding the spotlight right now.

I walk slowly towards the stage, careful with my feet to keep from tripping. My blood is pumping and my nerves feel on fire. I'm excited beyond belief, but at the same time I feel like I could puke at any moment.

The principal hands me my diploma, "Thank you for a great year, Ms. Kennedy."

I take it and walk over to the microphone. The light shines in my face as I try to look into the crowd, I squint my eyes.

My shaky hands feel around in my pocket for my speech, then I grab it and unfold the paper.

I move the microphone down a little bit so I can speak into it easier, "My name is Emma Kennedy and-" the microphone blares a screeching noise through the field, everyone covers their ears.

"I'm sorry. I wrote this speech thinking it was good but now that I'm up here I don't think I can do this. None of the words on this paper are what I'm wanting to say today. If it isn't obvious, I'm a little nervous." I shake my head, deciding I can't do this.

I'm about to step back when I see Trace. He's looking at me with his intense eyes. He's staring at me, and seems intrigued by what I'll do next. The truth is, I don't even know what I'm doing right now. But for the first time tonight he's looking at me and doesn't turn away when I stare back. For the first time, I've got the chance to speak to him.

I take a deep breath, "A little over twelve years ago I was six and having my first day of school." I clear my throat, looking around at the crowd, "I was excited with my new Hello Kitty backpack on. My parents were surrounding me with cameras, taking in every moment because they knew it wouldn't last. But I had no idea how quickly the time would fly. How did it go by so fast? All my life I've had people urging me to move forward and mature. "Growing up is something that we've all got to do", they said. This year has been the best year of my life simply because the people who have been in it. Each of them have allowed me to be myself and to goof around because that's what we do. Growing up has taught me that it's not bad to get older. As we grow older we're given more options on how to view life. The more we learn, the better we can see things for what they really are.

"At the start of the year, before I even had my first day at this new school, I met my best friend in a parking lot of all places." Trace smiles, "It was a wild first meet, but he told me that the craziness of it only meant it wouldn't be forgotten. He was right. There are times when people come into your life unexpectedly and their entire being just takes you by surprise. You love the thrill of never knowing what'll happen next and they show you things you never thought you'd see. Like how much a person can care for you without needing anything in return. He taught me what growing up is about and how serious life can be. But while I learned we had fun. We went on extraordinary adventures that often led to trouble. But somewhere along the way I fell for him."