Chapter 41

Chapter Forty One

"Trace!" I shout.

My little hand wraps around his strong arm in an effort to pull him back but he just shakes me off and keeps going.

"Stop it!" I shout again but this time I try another tactic.

As much as I'd love to see Cole get hurt I can't do that. I can't sit back and watch as Trace continuously beats his face in when I can do something about.

I move to get in front of him and as he goes to punch Cole again, I quickly throw myself in front of his fist.

He has no other choice but to stop punching Cole because now the only way to get to him is to go through me first. I know he'll stop himself before he hits me, there isn't a worry in my mind that I'll get punched.

Like I suspected, he stops his fist mid punch and gives me a bewildered look, "What the hell!"

I stand up and grab Traces hands to make him rise with me.

"Why in the hell would you jump in front of him like that! I could've punched you."

I roll my eyes. After all of this, that's what he's concerned about.

"You didn't."

He widens his eyes, "I know that, but I could have easily!"

I grab his shoulders and take a step closer to look up into his deep, gray eyes, "But I knew you wouldn't. You wouldn't stop hitting him any other way, I had to do something."

"Why did you have to do something?"

A honk out front interrupts our conversation and Cole fumbles to his feet, knowing it's his ride. He seems to be pretty sobered up as he gives Trace a threatening stare.

"You can have her." he spits out and shoots me a wicked look, "Just know there's so much more to her than a pretty face. She gets pissed off at the dumbest things and is a lot to handle. If that's the type of girl you're into then take her."

I know he's hoping to leave me regretting what I've done today. All the things I said to him and my permanent decision of letting him go but he doesn't know Trace. Trace isn't shallow enough to listen to all of Cole's bullshit and believe it.

Trace grabs my hand in his own and I know I'm the only thing keeping Cole from getting punched again.

"She left you because your ass was out of line when you had her. And I beat your face in because you still can't get it right. For some reason she won't let me kill you right now, but there's only so much she can do to hold me back so I suggest you leave." Trace says. His grip on my hand tightens but I'm not even certain he knows. I'm the only thing keeping Coles face from breaking even more.

Trace is absolutely right. Everything I did in our relationship was for Cole. Now, I'm thinking of me and the people that I care about, that list no longer has Cole's name written at the top.

"Now," Trace says coldly. Cole narrows his eyes but walks out the front door regardless.

As soon as the door is shut and it's just the two of us, Trace turns to me.

"What did he do to you?" his voice is shaky like he's scared to hear the answer.

"Nothing," I assure him and he sighs out in relief.

"When I first opened the door, I thought" he pauses for a moment as if he's reconsidering whether or not he should continue.

"What?"

"I thought you and Cole were back together." he says softly, his voice gentle as he speaks.

The scene before him must've been pretty deceiving but I could never get back with Cole. And I know Trace knows that now.