Chapter 68

Chapter Sixty Eight

Today is the day. Today, we graduate.

And graduation starts in two hours.

All the seniors had to rush home today and get their hair and makeup done before coming back up here two hours later to practice.

On the bright side, I was able to talk to Dr. Johnson about Trace walking today and he agreed to let him. The video showed a girl putting the bag of powder into my locker, but her face was covered. All he knows is that it was a female but I talked him out of investigating it any further.

Beatrice only did it because Cameron made her and I'm pretty sure that he couldn't make her do anything without leverage. He has something over her that caused her to do that to us. It wouldn't be fair to punish her for something that she had no choice but to do.

No matter how bad she gets on my nerves, I try to keep a level head when thinking about people's permanent record.

Dr. Johnson agreed to let her off the hook since Trace has already suffered most of the punishment for it.

I've got to talk to Trace about that. Even if he doesn't want me anymore, but based off of his recent actions I don't think that's the case, I've still got to find him to tell him thanks for getting the drugs out of my locker.

The football players are being congratulated by their coach right now. I can hear him screaming at the football team and if I didn't know the occasion I'd think he was angry. The coach has a very loud, deep voice.

"We worked hard all year, boys! Tonight is the night you go out and live the f ucked up lives that the majority of you have planned! You'll be separated from the team, but we'll always be a team!" he shouts and they all cheer.

He continues talking but I tune the rest of it out as I pick out caps and gowns with the girls and Lucas.

Each of the gowns are the same color, but somehow it's very important which one I chose. It's not even a gown that I'll get to keep, I'm renting it. But it's the very thing that I'll be wearing tonight on one of the most important nights of my life.

Each cap and gown is an ugly green, but the color, just for tonight, is beautiful.

Lucas doesn't understand what's taking us so long to pick out which one we should wear. He chose his ten minutes ago when we first got here.

"Hey, babe."He says and Adalyn looks at him, frowning before he's even spoke out. She knows him too well, "You should get the green one."

He chuckles to only himself, teasing her. She rolls her eyes.

I still haven't had the chance to talk to Trace, but my goal is to do it tonight before the ceremony starts.

As if on cue, I see him. For the first time in two weeks I see him again. And he sees me.

Our eyes lock and neither of us dare to look away.

He still seems tired and broken like he did before. Tonight some of the pain is covered with excitement, but it's still there. And the hurt is still obvious to me, just as I'm sure mine is to him.

We're both miserable without each other.

His gray eyes take me in as if he's gone too long without seeing his favorite thing. Like he believed he'd never see me again.

A small smile forms on his lips, he takes a small step towards me. Then he stops, meets my eyes, and turns around.

Lucas walks past me, heading towards his friend.