Chapter 58

I'm editing this chapter and adding in this joke because I thought it was really funny lol.
*Someone threw a bottle of coke at me today... but it didn't hurt because it was a soft drink.*

Chapter Fifty Eight

"Hey, sleepy head." a soft voice whispers.

I open my eyes and see Mason's chestnut brown ones staring back at me.

He takes in my obvious tiredness. I can feel my eyes burning from the sudden wake up. My shoulders are cold but the rest of me is covered with a blanket. Did I do that?

I don't remember grabbing a blanket before I fell asleep.

"Where is everyone?" I question, noticing the empty house.

"They left. It's just me and you."

Mason walks over to the coffee table, begins cleaning up the Scrabble game.

I wonder how long I've been asleep. From the view out my backdoor it looks like it's getting late. Early evening maybe.

"Why'd you stay?"

He shrugs, "If you want me to leave..."

I don't want him to leave.

"No, that's not what I'm saying. But if the others left why did you stay?"

He doesn't look at me, just continues piling game pieces into the cardboard box.

"I guess I had nowhere else to be. Plus, who else would help you clean up this mess?" a goofy smile appears on his face.

I take a look around the room and he's right, it's messy. There are dirty plates on the counters with cups and pillows spread all over the floor from where they played the game.

I stand up, "Damn, they're slobs."

He chuckles and nods.

It doesn't bother me that none of them cleaned up after themselves because we have an agreement that the owner of the house cleans up after. That way it won't be a bunch of people twisting around each other to clean up a few dishes when one person could do it easy.

We made this agreement a few months ago when we went to Ethan's house to hang out. We got pizza and when it was time to go everyone went to the sink but Cameron and I bumped into each other, dropping the plates. Glass went all over the floor.

That could've been avoided if only one or two people were trying to go to the sink so since there's so many of us we made that new agreement.

I climb from the couch into the floor to help him with the game.

"Why'd you go to sleep in the middle of the day?"

I continue dropping letters into the black bag.

"I don't know, clear my mind I guess."

The last thing I want to do is recall what Cameron told me. I don't know if I should believe what he said or not. Not that I think he'd intentionally lie to me but he may just have his facts wrong. That doesn't seem like something Trace would do. But do I know him that well yet?

Am I certain as to what he's capable of?

Mason nods in understanding. I'm thankful when he lets it go, not trying to urge for more details.

"Is that a new shirt?"

He's wearing an orange shirt. On the front it has a gray kitten wearing sunglasses while drinking a margarita. It's a chilled cat kicked back in a lawn chair with the ocean behind him.