Chapter 20

Chapter Twenty

What is that?

Why is his beard so long? Did they have beard combs back then?

That'd be so cool if pets could grow facial hair. Not like hairy hair, but have hair on top of their fur. Like if you have a cat and it grows a mustache. I need to figure out a way to make that happen, photoshop can do some crazy things. I can put a beard on Sadie and find a random cat online and add a mustache to it. That'd be wild.

"What are you thinking about?" I look up to see Trace staring at me.

We've been in theater class for the past hour, watching a video about how acting was invented. Everyone on the screen is so old with either too much hair or not enough.

I shake my head subtly, "Nothing."

He smiles and crosses his arms, "You know," a smirk appears on his face as he leans back in his seat, "when you don't tell me what you're thinking about I have to come to my own conclusions."

There wasn't anything important running through my mind. It wasn't a secret he couldn't know about, I just didn't feel like explaining. Letting him in on my previous thoughts would only earn concerned looks.

"What do you conclude I was thinking about?" I decide to play into his little game, for my own curiosity I think it'll be fun to see what he's able to come up with. It's not like I'm busy with anything else.

His smile grows, thinking I fell into his trap even though I'm well aware that's the response he wanted. His mouth opens but before he gets the chance to speak, we're interrupted by the bell ringing.

After the tone is finished sounding, he sits up straighter and winks at me, "It's okay Emma. I know the truth about what goes on in your head."

I stand up and grab my bag, "Enlighten me. What goes on in my head?"

He takes a thoughtful breath, "Well for starters you're thinking about how good I look today. It's obvious you find me attractive, I can see it in your eyes every time you look at me." he teases and I can only hope he's lying.

He's undoubtedly attractive, I'd be lying if I denied he is. But I don't think I make staring at him a habit, do I?

"Keep going," I encourage, entertained at what he could say next.

"You're pleased with my outfit. You think it makes me look sexy." he says with a wink and I roll my eyes.

He's wearing gray sweat pants and a black t-shirt, "You're literally wearing the same thing you wear every day."

He nods, "So you've noticed my usual attire? Maybe I have a stalker too."

I roll my eyes again and he laughs.

Trace stops at the end of the hallway, knowing it's time for us to part ways.

"Are you going to the game tonight?" He asks casually and I nod.

"Yep, Josephine is going for Ethan but refuses to go without me." I pause before realizing he might not understand what I'm talking about, "She's scared she might see Marcus."

He frowns and grips his backpack strap, "Well, I'm glad you're going. It's nice to be able to look out into the stands to see your friends there."

I nod before waving and he walks outside to go towards the field house.  I go down a hallway that leads to gym. When I get in there, Lucas, Adalyn and Josephine are already there.

They're sitting in our usual spots in the bleachers since basketball practices in the gym last period, we can't do anything for gym class. I'm completely fine with that though.