Chapter 26

Chapter Twenty Six

As we drive down the empty highway, the sun slowly sets making an end to another day. For most people at least, but not us. The sun setting means nothing as we continue driving into the darkness.

"Turn left onto eighty five north." I tell him, following the directions my GPS gave us.

We've cut ten hours out of our trip today, leaving only six more until I can see my poor daddy.

I called mom about an hour ago and she said he was still doing good, just tired and sore. I told her we'd be there by morning and she was happy, promising to tell dad as soon as he wakes up.

Trace and I decided to just keep going tonight and sleeping at my dads house instead of getting another hotel room and slowing us down. We'd just drive in sections so the other could sleep. Right now it's his turn, but I'm not sleeping.

I don't know why but every time I close my eyes they just won't sleep.

The truck suddenly jerks forward once and I tense, grabbing the dashboard for support. It continues jerking forward, gradually dying down.

"Trace?" I ask nervously. He sighs and pulls over.

He doesn't answer me, instead he hits the steering wheel, "Damn it!"

The engine cuts off and he tries turning the key. It makes a muffling sound before dying completely. He takes off his seat belt, "I'm so sorry. I'll see if I can fix it."

He opens the truck door and gets out onto the empty highway. I guess not many people prefer driving down highways at twelve in the morning.

I follow him and take off my seat belt, sliding out of the truck as well and meeting him at the hood.

"What is it?" I ask him and he concentrates on a few parts of a big box for a moment before groaning and shaking his head.

"It's a bad alternator. It killed my battery." He closes the hood and looks towards me, but doesn't meet my eyes, "I can't fix it. I'm sorry."

So, the truck died? Big deal.

Big deal.

Big deal! We're stranded on the side of a highway. I haven't seen so much as a gas station in at least an hour. The closest thing to civilization I've seen for a while is the rare car that passes by us. Normally highways and interstates are never just deserted like this but we're in the middle of nowhere.

Most people don't even travel through here.

We could sleep in the truck and wait for someone to come by and find us in the morning. What if nobody comes and finds us though, how long will chips and toast really last us?

Winter is coming in a few months and soon the clothes I'm wearing won't be enough. I don't want to freeze on the side of the road. What if a truck driver mistakes me for a prostitute and picks me up. I'll be stuck in a new business and I don't want a job! Becoming a stripper was something I always just talked about as a joke, I never actually considered it! A prostitute would have a harder job though, an awful job. Could I outrun a truck driver? He'd be in a truck so I'd have to outrun a truck.

I rub my head and my breathing suddenly becomes rapid. Am I hyperventilating? Is that what's happening to me or is this a panic attack? I don't think I've ever done either. Why can't I stop breathing?

Why do I want to stop breathing?

"Emma," I turn to see a grey eyed boy looking at me with careful eyes, "just breathe. You'll be okay, I won't let anything happen to you."