Chapter 76

Chapter Seventy Six

"Give me my blanket, Dylan!" Olivia's voice screeches from across the hallway. She lets out a blood curdling scream and Trace begins shouting.

"Dylan, give your sister back her blanket and Olivia, quit hollering!"

I chuckle to myself and continue hanging my clothes.

Trace sets the rest of my books on a shelf, then walks over to me, "I'm sorry about them. They aren't usually like this. I guess this isn't a great first impression for you to want to live with me." he gives me a small smile, taking my hand in his.

I sigh, cock my head to the side, "I hope your kidding." I take a step closer and he grins, "Because if you're begin serious I might have to get offended. I know what I signed up for when I agreed to live with you. I knew you were a packaged deal and I love all of it. I'll treat the kids like their my own and love them unconditionally, I do already. They're becoming my family, Trace. We're in this together, just like we've always been."

His arms band around my waist to pull me closer. He reels his head back to meet my eyes, "You know, I was lying when I said they aren't usually like that. They both love to scream, but I'm glad you love me." he gives me a charming smile.

I laugh and lean up to peck his lips.

"Are we going to sign up for classes tomorrow?" he asks and we begin unpacking boxes again.

I shrug, "Sure. I don't care when we do it, we've got all week."

He nods in understanding.

"Tracy," Olivia barges into the room, "I'm hungry."

"Alright well how about you and Dylan go put some bread in the toaster and I'll come out and fix you breakfast in a few minutes? We've still got a few more things to do in here first." She nods once and runs away. I listen as her little feet patter into the kitchen.

"Does this mean you're making me breakfast too?" I smile.

He rolls his eyes teasingly, "My Emma, the way you love food amazes me."

I chuckle, "Glad you find it amazing instead of completely unladylike and unattractive."

He grabs my hands, pulls me closer, "I'm utterly consumed with you, Emma Kennedy. Nothing can change my mind about that. Especially not the way you scarf down food like a male athlete."

I laugh and shove his chest. He stumbles back a little bit but I know it's only an act.

Trace flicks his head towards the door, "Why don't I go make everyone breakfast and you can text the others, letting them know we'll meet them in an hour?"

I nod and he leans down to place a gentle kiss on my forehead. I love it when he kisses my lips but there's a new meaning behind forehead kisses. It's sweet and delicate. Two words that describe him perfectly.

Trace Henderson is a protector of the people he cares about. But underneath all of the muscle and testosterone you have a little boy who only wants the definition of compassion.

"I love you," he whispers.

He walks out of the room and I finish unpacking a few more boxes before texting our friends and letting them know the new arrangements.

"Dylan and Olivia!" I call out and a few moments later they're both standing in front of me.

"After breakfast we're going to see uncle Lucas and all of our other friends. I need you both to start getting your shoes on now so we'll be able to get there on time."

Two little heads nod rapidly, excited to see their family that they've spent too long away from. They each run off to put on their shoes.

I'm already bossing them around like I do my sister. Trace would be so proud of me.

He wants me to be able to talk to them comfortably without me worrying that I'll make them angry or upset. It's like step-parents getting together and one already has kids. The opposite parent is concerned that if they're too strict then the kids won't like them.

I guess that's how I'm thinking. Dylan and Olivia love me already, but if I show up to their territory and begin throwing orders in their faces then the appeal can wear off fast. I want the kids to like me, of course, but I also know that I've got plenty of time to grow on them. I'm not going anywhere anytime soon.

"Breakfast is ready!" Trace calls.

I set my last book on the shelf and take a look around the room, the same room I'm going to be sharing with Trace. Our bed is placed in the middle of the room with a nightstand on either side. He gave me his closet and we moved my dresser in for him to use. I was right, he does only own gray sweatpants.

There's a small shelf hanging beside the window that I'm setting my books on. He's got the walls decorated with Dylan and Olivia's artwork. All together, the room looks amazing.

It's not perfect, but I don't want perfect. I want unorganized with mismatched furniture.

I want someplace I can call home. And this is it. Being with Trace is my home, he's with me and we've got Dylan and Olivia here to keep us from getting bored. Not that I'd ever get bored in his company, but still.

Everything this small apartment holds is beginning to feel more and more like my type of perfect.

"Ems, you coming? We need to leave here in thirty minutes." Trace pops his head through the threshold.

We walk into the kitchen and I can smell the nice, warm eggs. I sit at the island next to Dylan and begin digging into my delicious plate of breakfast. He made us scrambled eggs and toast.

Trace made the kids and himself peanut butter toast. He remembered how I don't like peanut butter and made me toast with butter and honey.

It's nothing fancy, but it's more than enough.

We finish our breakfast and load into the truck.

"Can we listen to Kidz Bop?" Olivia asks sweetly from the back seat.

I let out a soft chuckle and Trace rolls his eyes at me. He's such a good big brother. There's not a single eighteen year old boy that would drive in his truck bumping to Kidz Bop.

Except for him. Trace is the only exception.

A few minutes later we pull into the pizza parlor.

The last time I was here, Adalyn was telling me about how Trace was on probation for taking drugs out of my locker. We've grown since that time. Trace and I have gotten closer in relationship and understanding.

We climb out of the truck.

"Emma!" I hear the high pitched squeal of my best friend and my entire mood lightens into the sky.

I turn around just in time to be engulfed in a hug.

Oh, how I've missed Josephine.

"Emma and Trace are here with the rugrats!" Ethan shouts from across the parking-lot.

Josephine pulls away and I'm taken into the arms of Ethan. Only seconds later, Mason is there too. It's just one big hug with my best friends.

I didn't even realize how bad I missed them until they were standing in front of me again.

This assigned meet up is just the thing I needed before going to college. Being back with my friends is going to be one hell of an adventure, even if we don't do anything except eat at the local pizza parlor.

Authors Note:
Hello everyone! Thanks for reading! Have a great day and stay safe!

Good/bad news guys... tomorrow's chapter is the last chapter of the entire story. After tomorrow you can say you've read the entire book. It's crazy how far we've come together and how I've made friends with the comments of this story lol! Much love to you all!