Chapter 18

Chapter Eighteen

"No, keep the water in it while it microwaves. You drain it afterwards."

My mom furrows her eyebrows, "Then how are the noodles cooking if all of the heat goes into the water."

Wow, she actually cannot cook.

I've been trying to teach her how to make ramen noodles for the past ten minutes but she needs an explanation for everything I tell her. It's hard to explain the reasoning behind microwaved noodles. It's even harder when the person you're talking to has a cooking skill that doesn't go beyond toast.

"Just do it mom, stop asking questions." I groan out and she gives me a sheepish smile before setting the bowl in.

She pushes for three minutes and it begins cooking.

"If you go out today can you stop by the store and pick up a jug of orange juice. We're almost out and mama needs her vitamin C."

She knows I hate it when she refers to herself as 'mama'. It's not that bad when she's talking about simple things like, 'mama's hungry' or 'mama needs a nap' but when she says stuff like 'mama bear started her period and the cubs are worried', I begin to worry.

It's best to just get her out of that habit so every time she says it I've started giving her a look that reminds her how much I hate it, not that she cares but it helps me to think I'm making a difference.

"Sure, I'll go out anyway. I don't have any plans for the day."

Plus, I'm needing more underwear and lotion.

I grab my keys and open the front door. As soon as the door is opened, there's a body blocking my view of the outside world. The body belongs to Trace.

"Look who woke up before noon." he grins at me and I roll my eyes.

"It's eleven thirty. I've been awake for at least twenty minutes already."

He laughs before speaking, "Are you doing anything today? The kids went to a friends house and I need a friend, will you be my friend and keep me entertained?"

I give him my best thinking face even though I decided I would as soon as he spoke the words. He looks at me with impatience as I rub my chin.

"Hmm," I say for dramatics, "I guess, but we're going shopping."

He nods, "I'm in."

We get into my car and for the first time ever, I'm driving him somewhere instead of the other way around. I don't know why this excites me so much. It's like a new sense of control and I like it.

He puts his seat belt on I pull out of the driveway, careful to avoid his truck that was parked behind.

"Do you remember how we met?" I ask.

He looks at me as if he's amazed I'm even asking. Of course he remembers how we met, it was a wild situation.

The question was more rhetorical but he answers anyways with a nod.

"Well the same guy that was in the parking lot was outside my house last night."

As soon as those words leave my lips he's turned to face me with concern.

"What'd he do?"

I shake my head, "Nothing, absolutely nothing. He told me his name and I asked him why he doesn't try talking to me-"

"Wait," he interrupts, "you spoke to him? You got close enough for a conversation?"

His words don't seem angry but annoyed. It's like he doesn't know what could posses my brain into talking to the man when I should've been running back inside where it's safe.