Chapter 47

Chapter Forty Seven

"That one looked like a star!" Ethan exclaims like a child.

The fireworks are so beautiful; I can barely pull my eyes off of them.

I stare into the sky, admiring the wonderful picture ahead.

My arm is tucked under Traces while my head rests comfortably on his shoulder. I'll blame our proximity on my being cold but part of the reason was just because I wanted him close to me.

"I'm going to the restroom." Olivia announces before climbing off of Traces lap.

The finale of fireworks explode through the night sky leaving a breathtaking view before our eyes.

"I'll be right back," Trace whispers to me and I let go of him so he can get up, "I'm going to get a few more blankets."

As soon as he stands up I miss his smell under my nose and the warmth he was providing.

Trace jumps down from the tailgate, shaking the truck.

Josephine scoots closer to me, taking Trace's previous spot. We huddle together and share blankets to try and get warmer. The temperature has to be below freezing.

Cameron jumps up from the truck as well and runs inside leaving only Josephine and I with all the blankets.

"Hey, don't grab me there unless you want want me to strip naked now." Lucas says and I hear Adalyn giggle before the sound of smacking lips continues.

Gross.

"Can the two of you get a room?" Ethan begs.

Lucas chuckles, "We have a room, and we use it pretty often."

Everyone groans out in disgust but Adalyn and Lucas just laugh and continue.

"What's that smell?" Erica asks.

She's right. There's a faint smell of something burning. Maybe a firework caught a bush somewhere?

"There's smoke coming from the kitchen window," Josephine points out.

I turn to see black smoke seeping through the cracks of the window. There's a bright light shining inside the house and putting those two simple facts together can only mean one thing.

"Fire!"

Cameron runs out of the house flailing his arms through the air.

The house can't be on fire, we haven't done anything.

Mason and Lucas run inside the house to try to put it out but rush back outside seconds later.

"It's already got half of the kitchen! There's no way we can save it. It's spreading too fast!"

What do they mean? There has to be a way to save it! Trace and Olivia are inside!

I rush to the front door and stop at the threshold. The smoke is already making it's way to my lungs and all I can see is black smoke clouding my vision.

The boys were right. Fire is crawling over the curtains and latching onto the cabinets. It's seeping it's way through the pantry and crowding the ceiling with it's flames.

Does Trace know there's a fire? Where the hell is his smoke detector!

My eyes shoot to the place it used to be the first time I went to his house.

The spot on the ceiling that should hold the detector is empty. He never replaced the batteries.

"Emma!" Mason shouts for me but I ignore it.