Chapter 2

Chapter two

Today is Monday, which means it's the first day of school, for me at least. Everyone else has already been going for a while and I just happen to be lucky enough to join two weeks into the first semester.

Sarcasm.

Joining in the middle of the first month of school is the closest thing from good.

I walk into the large, brick building and am instantly met with hallways crowded of students. The noise level is above loud and the energy is high. I can practically feel the heat radiating off of everyone I walk past, shoving my way through the crowd.

Everybody is either groping, talking or judging the other people who walk past. This hallway is the exact way it always appeared in my nightmares.

I've gone to a private school all my life. My classes had approximately fifteen people per room and about five hundred in the entire school. I see at least two hundred students right now and I'm only walking through the front doors.

The first bell rings, echoing the hallway and slowly, all the students begin to scatter.

Mom called the school yesterday after we got home and they sent her my schedule to print out so I could have it before walking blindly through the doors, not even knowing where the front office is.

I look down and chemistry with Mrs. Wilson is my first period. I roll my eyes.

When did I pick chemistry? I suck at science.

After about five minutes of walking, the hallways are becoming clearer with only a few stragglers hanging around. Teachers are placed strategically throughout the school to help any lost freshman but my ego refuses to allow me to ask for help.

I'm a senior, I can find my way around a simple high school.

Suddenly, a sign that says 'Chemistry' appears on the door to my left and I smile a satisfied grin.

The door to her classroom is still opened so I take this moment to scope out a seat from the door before too much attention is drawn to me.

Her classroom is set up with tables instead of desks. Each rectangular table holds four students. I'm relieved when I see an empty seat in the back corner.

I grip my bag and walk quickly towards the back, silently hoping Mrs. Wilson isn't one of those teachers who feels the need to introduce the new students.

When my butt is placed firmly in the chair, I let out a breath of relief.

Maybe this year won't be as bad as I expected. Moving every two years is really beginning to put a lose end in many of my friendships and when you're in high school people aren't typically eager to make new friends with the new girl.

A deep voice clears his throat and it's only then that I take recognition of the three other people at the table. Beside me is a dark brown haired boy that broke me from my thoughts just moments before. He's got chestnut brown eyes and a goofy smile plastered across his face.

Across from him is a blonde boy with brown eyes that are slightly lighter than his friends. Also wearing a goofy grin.

"I lost my number, can I have yours?" The boy adjacent to me asks and I raise my eyebrows at his sudden question. Wow, way to break the ice.

The girl beside him rolls her eyes, "I already told you that isn't going to work on anyone, Ethan."

Ethan turns to her and wiggles his eyebrows suggestively, "I could see myself periodically doing you on a table."