Chapter 71

Chapter Seventy One

"Got your phone?" dad nods.

"Keys?" he nods again.

"Wallet?"

He feels around all of his pockets. Then snaps his fingers across the air, "Damn it! I can never get it right, can I?"

He goes back into my moms room to find it and I laugh. It's good he always has me run him through all of his belongings before he goes anywhere. He wouldn't make it out of the driveway if not for me reminding him to bring the keys.

I suddenly remember something else that he needs too. But this isn't something he brought, it's something I stole from his house when I left. I think it's far past time to return it.

I rush upstairs to retrieve his hoodie from my closet.

The image of last time I wore it plays in my mind. Trace walked in the house and instantly pointed to it, curious to know who it belonged to. He knew I didn't watch sports so it didn't make sense that I'd have a sports hoodie.

Little does he know that I've actually started watching a little bit of football on my free time. It's never been interesting to me until Trace. It was always just a world favorite sport that passed through the air, I just never thought to breathe it in.

Now that I'm closer with Trace I've decided to give it a try. I still don't understand the rules of the game or even the purpose for it, but if football is his passion then I'm more than happy to learn to like it too.

I yank the hoodie from it's hanger. When I turn around, Laila is there.

"Shouldn't you be doing last minute packing? You and dad are leaving any minute."

She shakes her head, "I've finished packing already."

I shrug, "Okay, why are you in my room then? Go downstairs and leave. You can wait in the car while I tell my dad goodbye." I give her a sour smile, just to spite her. She rolls her eyes.

"Why can't you try being civil for thirty seconds while I explain myself?" she huffs out, clearly annoyed.

She ruined the opportunity for us to have a good relationship when she made out with my boyfriend. I think we're past civil.

But instead of telling her that, I stay silent. The quickest way to get rid of her is to give her what she wants. If she wants to speak, then I'll let her.

She narrows her eyes in question. I keep my mouth in a tight line so she continues, "I just came up here to tell you that even if you don't believe me, I am sorry for what I did to you and Cole. There was no excuse for that and it shouldn't have ever happened."

Wow.

She sounds like she really means that. I wonder if she took my advice and started practicing apologies. Maybe she watched a tutorial on it?

I know her. She's never been sorry about anything, all she does is play games. I don't know what her intentions are with this game but I refuse to give her the satisfaction of winning. I won't fall into her trap and forgive her so easily.

I stare at her curiously. She's watching me closely to catch my reaction to her words, I'm sure to not show one.

She's got a small smile playing on her lips. She's twirling her hair, a nervous tick of hers. If I'm seeing correctly, her eyes are even glistening a little bit.

But that can't be right. She knows how to manipulate body language to get what she wants. She's a professional at cheating people.

I shake my head, "I don't know what you're trying to prove, but there's one thing I'm certain of: you're incapable of remorse. Don't bring me a story about how your having regrets of the past. If you were actually sorry then you'd just stay out of my life. I'm happiest without you in it."