Chapter 34

Chapter Thirty Four

"That's cheating!" I laugh as Trace starts stacking kids in the crevices of the vehicle. He ran out of his four seats a while ago but he keeps adding more kids and setting them on top of each other and in between the parents. He has a total of six kids in his car right now and there's only enough seats for two.

Mom laughs too, "As long as children aren't falling out onto the street I don't see a problem."

I roll my eyes and my dad chuckles as he takes his turn.

We've been playing for over an hour and none of us are even close to winning yet. There's five of us who have to take turns and it doesn't help that after every turn we have a completely off topic discussion or joke.

The door opens and we all turn to look as the doctor walks in with a smile.

"Good news," he starts and folds his hands in front of him, keeping his clipboard tucked under his arm, "you can be released but on one condition."

We all look at each other and he continues, "You have to be on bed rest. Is there anyone available in your house who can look after you for a little while as you heal?"

Laila nods, "I can."

The doctor looks at her and then back at my father, "Great, I'll have your medicine sent to your pharmacy and you can pick it up on the way back home. I'll bring you a wheel chair to borrow on your way to the car and there will be some paperwork at the desk you originally signed in at. You're officially free to leave."

A giant smile breaks across my face and I turn to look at Trace. He's looking at me with a smile of his own.

I bring the wheelchair into the room. Mom and Trace help him out of bed and into it.

My father winces as he rests in the chair, holding his chest.

"Are you okay?" I ask and he gives me a small smile.

"Yea baby, I'm okay. Just get me back home and I'll be great."

Mom pushes dad through the door and we all walk to the desk down the hallway. The woman hands Laila a stack of papers and tells us to have those filled out and sent back before December fifth.

We make our way into the elevator and push for the first floor.

It dings and doors open.

Once everyone is in the appropriate car we head back to my dads house. My mom is taking dad home in his car and Laila is driving her car back and of course, I'm with Trace.

Traces eyes concentrate on the road ahead as he tries to remember the confusing way back to my fathers house.

We're going home today. I'm almost certain that by now mom has arranged a flight back to Tennessee for us to take.

So much has happened these past few days. My dad got hurt and although I was worried sick about him and am more grateful than words can describe that he's going to be okay, I'm also glad Trace was here. Without him I don't know what would've happened.

This trip has definitely brought us closer together and he's becoming one of my best friends when before I never thought he'd be more than a parking lot hero.

We turn onto my dads road and I can see Laila driving a little ways in front of us. I'm surprised he remembered the way considering he's only been down this way once and it was dark. This is a confusing town but he did good.

Trace pulls into the driveway and kills the engine before we get out.

Mom and dad are going to take a little bit longer since they have to stop on the way and pick up dads pain medicine.