Chapter 27

Chapter Twenty Seven

We each grab our bags and make our way outside. He gets in first and scoots down to the last seat so I can get in the other.

"The nearest hotel," I tell the driver and he nods once before pulling out of the parking lot and making a left.

Trace begins talking to the man and I look out the window, watching the new scenery.

"Do you by chance know where The Transmission Commission is?" Trace asks the driver.

It's about ten minutes from our hotel so that'll work out in the morning when we won't have to go very far in order to get Trace's truck back. It's supposed to be finished by nine thirty in the morning which is later than I'd hoped but I guess it's better than noon.

We pull into the hotel parking lot. Trace hands the driver a handful of cash and we got to check in.

The hotel is fancier than the last one we were at. The one before was a motel so we were outside before being in our rooms. This one is warmer and cozier feeling.

The woman at the desk gives us a room like last time, two queen beds. I take the key card and we make our way to the second floor of the hotel.

Trace steps into the elevator and takes a deep breath as it rises. He seems a little nervous being on it but when he sees me watching him he straightens up and fixes his collar.

I laugh lightly at his uneasiness and the elevator doors open, revealing a hallway of rooms ahead.

We find ours quickly and I unlock the door, taking in our new room for the night.

Like before, there are two queen beds separated by two nightstands. Across from the beds we have a dresser with a television above it.

"I call this bed!" Trace says eagerly and picks the bed farthest from the bathroom and closest to the hallway door.

I walk to the other bed and get ready to open my bag so I can put on my pajamas when I remember I have Trace's bag in my hands. He seems to realize the confusion the same time I do because as I turn around, we both toss the bags through the air and he catches his easy. Mine, on the other hand, hits me in the face and makes me stumble back on the bed a little bit.

"Sorry." Trace says with no remorse in his voice as he chuckles.

I open the bag and remember another thing, I don't have a pair of clean pajamas.

I sigh and set my bag on the floor, deciding I'll just sleep in the shorts and blue shirt I'm wearing already.

"Are you going to bed?" he asks me and I nod, kicking off my shoes.

"You don't have any pajamas though," he tells me obviously with a little excitement in his voice.

A groan escapes my lips, "I know, and these shorts are already uncomfortable."

I shift awkwardly on my bed to try and position myself to where the button isn't poking against my stomach but it's nearly impossible.

Trace grabs an outfit and makes his way to the bathroom, "Notice how I'm taking my clothes with me so I won't have to walk out later and get them, though I know you wouldn't mind." he teases and I take a bottle of the hotels lotion from the nightstand and chunk it at him but he catches it easily, smiles, and tosses it back.

He walks into the bathroom but keeps the door open just a crack for the steam that's soon to come.

I stare at the slim crack in the door, seeing only images of his movements.