Chapter 26 : "Darkened"

There she was. My best friend. The friend I thought was dead because of me. She was grinning deviously.

"It's been long" She said with a wink.

I struggled to breath. This was getting too much for me. How was she here?

"Did you really think I died?" She said mocking me.

"Oh my poor friend. Or should I say best friend? That's what you used to call me, No?" She held her chin as if she's thinking. I was getting angry at her. This whole time I've been mourning her death, considering it was my fault. As far as I remember, she really did die. Thousands of questions were going through my head.

"Where's Ruby?" The only question I could ask after mustering up the courage to speak. But as soon as I said that, I regretted it because my voice came out cracked.

"I am Ruby" She started laughing sinisterly. Then she shapeshifted, back to her real self, showing off with a twirl.

"How?" Again I whispered.

"Oh my naive little, Eloise! Don't you see that I am a shapeshifter? I can change myself into anyone. You see I killed the real Clarke when she was 6, before she even became your friend. The real Clarke hated you so much that she never would've been your friend. Thank me for becoming your friend" She mocked me and then started laughing like a maniac.

At this point, my world collapsed in front of my own eyes. The courage and confidence I had before coming here just vanished. I wanted to strangle her. She played with my feelings. She's been living in my house for years without anyone of us knowing! All of a sudden a wave of resentment and angst came over me and I glared at her.

"Icaeus" I cast a spell on a nearby wooden box and brought it up in air. With the movement of my hand, I threw it at her. She was fast enough to block the blow with a shield spell.

"Ooh, doubling down in the face of imminent death. Ballsy" She paused for a moment.

"But why do I feel like there's something getting darker in here" She mocked and pointed towards her heart. I looked at her confused and with my nostrils flared. At this point, I was outraged.

"I mean your eyes just turned dark" She held her hand in defense, playing all innocent and kind. I was baffled. I mean first Mia told me about my eyes and now Clarke, I mean Runy or whoever she is.

"I feel darkness getting stronger here" She sniffed the air and an expression of calmness became plastered on her sick and ugly face.

"I don't know what Sebastian saw in you when he rejected me!" This time she was addressing Jennie with a blank expression.

"Ascendo" She lifted Jennie in the air while choking her. I couldn't do anything even if I wanted to. I wanted to save her but I didn't want to. I was conflicted and paralyzed.

"You don't have to save her, El!" The hideous voice spoke inside my head. But shrugging the thought, I lunged towards Ruby but she threw me across the church and my head collided with the handle of a chair and I felt something warm on my forehead.

"Tag. You're it. We don't want to waste any of that blood" She said before snapping her fingers and I felt my wound getting healed.

What is happening? Everything feels like a dream. I have to do something. My friends, my family needs me.

"Shut up El, You're here to save your own ass. Not others!" I couldn't believe what the voice inside my head just said. But wait since when do I have a guiding voice in my head?

"Incendia" Suddenly someone lit a fire in between us, separating Jennie and I. I fell towards Ruby's side whereas Jennie who was in the air a few minutes ago, laid on the floor while groaning. It was Mia who lit the fire. And she ran towards Jennie to help her get up.