4. Just the people behind the pipes

I had the blueprints ready, neatly hold together in their file. It only took a knock on the door.
  "Enter," the General sounded as commanding as usual, but also a bit drawling. A hint of exhaustion.
  When the door opened I saw Hux at his desk, hands stuck in his hair.
  "I updated the blue prints and fixed a problem with the coordination towers."
  Hux looked up, heavy bags underneath his eyes. "Show me."
  I handed him the documents.
  "What was the problem you fixed?" Hux didn't turn his gaze away from the blueprints.
  "The coordination towers broke every once in a while, the main cable to be more specific. It took a while for me to figure out the problem and it's solution." I began, as tech-savvy as always.
  The General gestured for me to continue.
  "Star Killer is a very cold planet. Too cold for the weak material the cables were made from, they simply snapped when they reached their limit-temperature. As a solution, I created new cables, made from a special metallic lava in combination with rubber. The unique metal made it possible for the cables to survive temperatures from even under -50 degrees."
  Hux nodded and placed the blueprints down on his desk. "I won't deny your expertise is quite impressive. Keep on working like this and you are likely to receive a promotion."
  I made a small bow, "thank you truly, sir."
  Hux handed me the empty file.
  "Ehm, sir?"
  The General looked slightly agitated, "yes?" He was on edge today.
   "You forgot to add the blueprints..."
  Hux looked at the empty file and at the blue prints which still lay on his desk. "Ah, yes, but of course." He rubbed his eyes before handing me the now complete file.
  "May I ask you something, General?"
  Few dared to speak up to the notorious First Order member, I, however had already known him for a long time and I had often worked with him before.
  "You already are," Hux commented.
  I ignored his comment and just asked my question. "Are you alright, sir? Excuse me if it's a personal matter, but you seem ehm, a little tired. I'm aware of the fact that I'm not allowed to speak up, but it's unusual for you to make mistakes, General."
  Hux sighed and rested against the back of his seat. "My work is catching up on me, (Y/n), lashing me down. All business in Star Killer base first goes through me, and Ren isn't making it easier. This organisation is functional because of me."
  I nodded in understanding, I knew Hux was stressed often, but I didn't know it was this bad.
  "You should try to get some sleep, General," I advised.
  Hux snorted, "I cannot. These supply documents won't finish themselves."
  "I could do it," I said, before thinking about it.
  But Hux appeared to consider the idea. "It's plausible. You're one of the skilled engineers after all... Yes, you will be capable." The General send me a meaningful glare. "Don't make me regret my decision." He handed me a stack of papers, before holding the door open for me.
  "I won't disappoint you, sir. And don't forget to stick to your side of the deal. Get some rest."
  Hux his stern features softened, the curled ends of his mouth hinted a smile, warmth leaking through his façade, "thank you."

  I was heading to my chamber to fill in the paperwork I had just gotten, but then a familiar blonde walked towards me. "Hi Matt."
  "(Y/n)," Matt acknowledged my presence. "What are you doing with all those documents? I thought technicians didn't attend to paperwork."
  I nodded. "True, but they're short on officers right now." It wasn't a total lie.
  "And how is that? How can an operation like ours possibly fall short of officers? Why didn't I hear about this..."
  I frowned. "Well Matt, radar technicians don't get to hear that kind of information. We are just the people behind the pipes."
  I turned my head to see if anyone was eavesdropping.
  "I think it's partly because of Kylo Ren that we run out of officers..."
  Matt snorted so silently that I almost didn't hear it, almost.
  "But I really need to go to work if I want to finish these on time, see ya later."
  Matt only send me a reluctant nod before he took off with fast strides.
  I really don't get what's wrong with this guy.