34. Captive

The first few days were horrible, well days... I didn't really know how long I've stayed here already. There was no window or anything, but I did figure out that I get three meals a day. I calculated that I'd been here for about three days now.
  I was bored to hell. I hadn't seen anyone in the past few days, the only thing to accompany me were my thoughts, and they weren't very positive.
  I kept seeing Armitage's unconscious face, kept worrying about Matt, and even thought about Kylo.
  Never in my life had I felt so tired, lost and alone, sitting in the dark corner of my small cell.
  Until things started to slightly change. One day I got a piece of bread instead of the goo I usually got. I even got an apple last night, well... I think it was night.
  So I decided to speak up to the trooper who gave me my food.

  The trooper entered the cell with the usual grey tray in their hands, this time there was a bottle of orange juice extra.
  The trooper placed the tray on the small table in the cell, which was moreover the only furniture besides my mattress. They nodded in my direction, which was in the corner of the room, and turned back to the exit.
  "Who are you, and why are you helping me?" My voice sounded a little dry due to the short on water.
  The trooper spun around, their hands went towards the mask. Dark, curly hair shot out from under the helmet, and her chestnut eyes were visible. "I think I'll never learn from my mistakes, huh?" Angel's voice sounded like music to my ears, finally someone I knew.
I had felt so lonely and lost that I couldn't stop myself from rushing towards her and embracing her.
Angel hugged back, understanding my situation. When she stepped back she spoke again, "I can't stay here for long, you have a visitor this evening."
I nodded. "Of course, I don't want you to lose your job. I'm sorry that I left you, while you were still suspended, that wasn't very polite of me."
Angel shrugged. "Forgiven and forgotten."
She really deserves her nickname.
"You said visitor, who'd want and is allowed to visit me?" I already knew the answer the second I asked the question. There was only one person on this base right now who had both a high enough position and cared about me.
"General Hux," she mused.
"Could you... smuggle some extra water, I don't want Hux to hear and see me like this..." I didn't want to think about what he was going through, I knew he often blamed himself for matters out of his control.
Angel nodded. "Of course, it's the least I can do."
I sent her a genuine smile. "You're too kind."

I was waiting for Armitage. Angel had kept her promise and delivered me the extra water.
The cell door opened.
Armitage entered, he seemed to be in a worse state than me. His hair wasn't nearly as neat as usual and it was dull, having lost the spark that ignited his fire. It got to the point that he had a stubble beard, and considerable bags underneath his eyes.
We both didn't say a word as Armitage helped me up and placed his arms around me.
I hid my face in the crook of his neck.
It was the first time in days I felt less alone. I felt warmth even and my mind was less clouded.

After a long while, he stepped back, his voice sounding less sharp than usual. "Oh (Y/n) I'm so sorry, I couldn't protect you. I couldn't even protect you from my own organisation." Hux dropped himself on the mattress and hid his head in his hands, rubbing his tired eyes.
I took place beside him and stroke his back, calming him down.
When Armitage looked up from his hands, I saw tears glistening in the corners of his eyes. They didn't drop.
"Why are you so kind? Why would you always try to fix a broken man, even if he's going to be crushed over and over again anyways?"
Armitage was referring to himself, but my answer was meant for both him and Kylo.
"Some people are worth fixing, especially if they keep getting crushed. Because that means they can manage, no matter what. They are the diamonds in the rough. You can crush them all you want, but they will never break." The words came from somewhere deep down inside me, not knowing they existed. I tried to tidy Armitage's hair with utmost delicacy.
"Do you really think that?" His eyes showed strength again.
"If I hadn't, why would I have said it?"
Armitage shook his head and stood up, pacing in circles. "I can't allow this to happen, there must be something I can do..."
There's the Armitage Hux I know.
I got up too and leaned against the wall. "What's the status, what does the judge say?"
Armitage stopped pacing. "The judge said that the Supreme Leader will make the decision about your fate. I have spoken with the Leader..."
I tried to read Armitage's eyes, which was as impossible as always. "And?"
He shook his head. "The Leader said that people like you are just like knives. You use them until they're blunt, then you throw them away and replace them..." Armitage's jaw twitched.
"But I didn't agree. I said that excellent knives are worth sharpening. A second life, a second chance."
I was blown away. "Did-did you say that out loud? Did you spoke up to the Supreme Leader?"
Armitage snorted. "I most definitely did, who or what do you think I am?"
I ignored the fact that I was most probably lost, and simply admired Armitage's care for me.
"Wow, I didn't know you- you'd do that..."
Armitage bridged the space between us and pushed my chin up, something he seemed to like doing.
"I'd do anything for you. Destroy planets, vanish armies, rule galaxies, literally anything you could possibly imagine..." he admitted, placing his forehead against mine.
I closed my eyes, I felt safe even though I knew I wasn't. I allowed the illusion to last a little longer...
"I promise I'll get you out, one way or another."
Our moment was interrupted by a male guard who had the order to call for him. "You are needed, General."
I swear that if Armitage's eyes could kill, the stormtrooper would be in the core of the planet by now. He gave me a quick kiss between my eyes. "I promise..."
He slid a familiar blaster in my pocket.
Surprised, I gazed up at him.
"It's yours after all."

After a few days of hearing nothing from Armitage I felt lost once again.