6. Weirdness doesn't matter

I was finally done with my inspections and went to my chambers. I dropped myself onto the bed. It wasn't the most comfortable bed, but it's home. I closed my eyes and before I knew it I was asleep.

  I woke up when I heard someone knock on the door. I was surprised to see Matt when I opened it.
  "Matt? How did you know this is my chamber?" I paused and thought about it. "I never told you."
  Matt shuffled his feet. "Ehh... asked?"
  I knew this was another lie, since I had never told anyone where my chambers were.
  "If you say so..." I swallowed my suspicion, this was supposed to be a fun night. I wasn't going to ruin it.

  Matt guided me through the halls, with the precision of a common visitor.
  I, on the contrary, had never been in this part of Star Killer base before.
  "Where are we going?" I asked, feeling condescended by all the high officers looking down on me.
  "You'll see," Matt avoided the question.
  Without warning, he stopped, which made me almost bump into him. Then Matt was busy entering the code for entering.
  Realisation dawned me as to why I had never been here before. This looks like the expensive part of Star Killer...
  I was right, this part of Star Killer base was meant for the more important staff.
  Matt dragged me along, into the room.
  The lights went on as soon as we entered. One could have thought the lights didn't work, for the huge chamber remained dark.
  The entire interior was black. A black king sized bed with black sheets, two black seats turned to the floor-to-ceiling windows that allowed you to see the dark star-filled sky, a black desk and some black cabinets.
  Hmm what would the owner's favourite colour be? I thought retorically.
  "Matt? Where are we? This looks very expensive and certainly not meant for a radar technician as yourself."
  Matt smiled at me. "These aren't my chambers, they are Kylo Ren's."
  My eyes widened. "Matt, we need to leave. What if he comes back? He could kill us on the spot."
  Matt shook his head and dragged me further inside the room, towards the two seats. "Sit," he ordered.
And for whatever reason, I had to obey him. The weird thing? My mind instantly seemed to be fine with it. A little voice kept whispering, you want to sit down.
  Matt took place in the other seat.
  And as if things couldn't get any weirder.
"Don't worry about Kylo Ren. He is a friend of mine."
  If the technician kept surprising me like this, my eyes would pop out at some point, for not being to widen any further.
  How the hell could a simple radar technician be friends with the great, but intimidating Kylo Ren?
  "Uhm, Matt. I like you, you are nice, but how do you think I can possibly believe you?"
  Matt took my hand in his and gazed in my eyes with an oddly attractive intensity. "Just trust me."
  Again, I didn't know why or how, but something told me to calm down and lower my guard.
  "Okay, I'll try." My shoulders relaxed and I was feeling more comfortable.
  "Wait here, there is something I want to show you." Matt got up and walked towards one of the cabinets.
  I stared at the pitch black sky in front of me. This room had the most beautiful view I had ever seen.
  A red glow reflected on the glass pulled me out of my dreaminess, it came from behind me. I turned around.
  "Woah, Matt! Be careful, you aren't really... ahem... good in handling tools. You might burn yourself."
  My instincts kicked in when I saw Matt holding an activated lightsaber. I couldn't allow myself to admire the weapon as long as Matt wasn't... save.
  "This is no tool, it's a weapon." Matt stated obviously.
  Yeah like that changes the situation.
  "I'm no good with tools, but I am with weapons." Matt's confident grip on the lightsaber hilt added power to his words.
  I frowned, I didn't suspect that from clumsy Matt. "How did you learn to wield a lightsaber? It isn't yours..." I tilted my head. "Right?"
Matt quickly shook his head, sounding defensive. "No of course it isn't. Kylo showed me how to wield it once."
I stopped agitating Matt as I didn't want to get accidentally impaled by the lightsaber.
I got up and examined the weapon, I had to admit that I had been interested in them since I was a kid.
"Step back, I'll show you some moves."
Quickly obliging, for obvious reasons, I maintained some distance.
  Matt started to dangerously swirl with the lightsaber. It was impressive. He looked like a total different man while wielding the lightsaber. He showed so much passion.
But soon, Matt got overwhelmed by his show off. Not realising that there wasn't enough space for performing his "skills".
Matt accidentally hit a mirror, shattering it in a thousand pieces.
My hands shot to my mouth. My life flashed before my eyes, if Ren found out... "What have you done?"
Matt didn't seem as worried, on the contrary, he only shrugged. "It doesn't matter, mirrors never last long in this room."
"I don't know what you're saying, and I don't know how well you know Ren, but I think it's for the best if I hold on to this for a while." I held out my hand.
At first, Matt didn't want to let go, but at hearing the fear slip through my voice, he reluctantly placed the weapon in my palm. Like a child giving away their favourite toy.

"I have to admit that this is one of the most gorgeous views I have ever seen."
I motioned the star-filled sky and the snowy forest of Star Killer that was visible through the glass.
It reminded me of Corellia.
Matt didn't look at the scenery, he stared at me instead. "Was your home planet beautiful?"
I was slightly startled, is he able to read minds or something?
"The planet isn't known for its green, most of it is covered by cities and factories, but it does contain some beautiful parks."
Matt nodded. "I see..."
Something nagged at my mind.
"What exactly happened that gave you such bad memories?"
Wrinkles covered my forehead. Matt couldn't be able to read my mind, but damn he was good.
"As I told you, I never really fitted in. The other kids despised me, no one ever wanted to talk with me. That's probably why I am no good at making friends still."I murmured the last sentence.
Matt lay back in his seat, he seemed deeply in thought.
I continued, "even my family avoided me. They almost didn't talk to me unless ought necessary. A disgrace to the family. The black sheep of the family, you can call it. They never supported me, I had to work for my own money to pay my engineer's study."
Matt sat up. "Might this have to do with the fact that everyone calls you by your first name?"
A sad, halfhearted smile escaped its bonds. "Yes. I never felt like I belonged to that family, so if I become successful one day I don't want it to be on their account." A pained chuckle left my mouth. "I know this sounds off."
Matt sounded surprisingly involved.
He really has an alternating personality.
"I might know what you mean." Matt wanted to place his hand on my shouldn't, but decided against it.
"Don't worry, you will never have to see or think about them again. Don't let them take you down. You're worth more than that."
Despite the surprise his words conjured, I did appreciate them.
I stood up, so did Matt.
"Thank you Matt. There is something off about you..." I stepped towards him and gently embraced him. "But I think I like it."
First he seemed not to know how to react, but after a while I felt his, astonishing, strong arms around me.