24. New mentor

When I entered the room with the shield generators, Matt had already vanished.
Everything was dark, except from the occasional flickering of red alarm lights.
I rushed towards the machine, aware of how fatal this situation could be. I used Matt's left tool box and opened the panel to see what's wrong.
So apparently someone had ordered Matt to check if the shields were still working, which was a very advanced technician task.
Matt should have never been allowed in this room in the first place, but that's something for later concern.
"I have to shut down the entire system, don't be alarmed," I said to no one in particular. I pushed some buttons and pulled a lever.
Every energy-using machine or lighting was now off. If the Resistance decided to attack, we'd be doomed. Thank goodness, they didn't.
After a minute or five, I managed to boot up the system.
This mistake could get Matt fired...

I closed the panel. My brain allowed me to notice Armitage, finally. I didn't give a damn about any of the officers in the room and jumped up, pulling him in an embrace.
He didn't expect my sudden reaction, but quickly regained himself and slowly placed his arms around the small of my back.
"You're not upset nor angry?" I whispered in his ear, my chin leaning on his shoulder.
"How could I ever be angry with you?"
We hugged a little tighter before he let go.
"What are you looking at?! Back to work!" Armitage told the watching officers.
They vanished within the blink of an eye.
"What happened that caused the generator to go off?" I asked him.
Hux snorted. "Someone left Matt alone in here."
I nodded in understanding. "Most likely to be Karen, his mentor."
Armitage took his holopad. "Karen you say? I think it's best for her te be replaced..." The holopad suddenly emitted a red light.
My eyes widened. "You're not going to.... right?"
He shook his head. "No, she'll be doing a different task, instead of tutoring. Since she isn't able to do it properly."
I prayed for Matt to be assigned a better mentor.
"The only one talented enough to tutor Matt, is you, (Y/n)." Armitage didn't look up from the screen.
Wait what?!
"But- don't you mind me and Matt being... together more often? You're not," I coughed, "ahem, jealous?"
Armitage grinned, boyishly. "I won't be in your way, I'm not a child. To prove it, Matt will be getting the day off. So you can go spend some time together."
I raised to my toes and gave him a kiss on his forehead. "Thank you Armitage, I really appreciate it."
He motioned to the door. "Now off you pop, go enjoy your spare time."

Hux didn't have the need for revenge on (Y/n). In his eyes it wasn't her fault, and he could never hurt her.
He had indescribable feelings for (Y/n), and he knew she must have felt them too.
If his plan turned out to work, she would come back to him. And he would protect her with everything he had; all of his troops and weapons if needed. He'd send the entire regime to keep her save.
The Supreme Leader wouldn't like it, but Hell would have to freeze over before he'd let her slip from his grasp again.

I walked through the halls, searching for Matt, which seemed to be one of my new hobbies.
The broom closet wasn't fully closed off, which made me curious.
When I opened the door, I saw Matt, hiding behind some cleaning equipment. A futile attempt, because well, he's just too tall.
"What are you doing here Matt?" I shove the equipment aside and helped him out.
"Hiding," he mumbled.
I had to suppress my laugh. "From Hux?'
  He quickly shook his head. "Never."
  I raised an eyebrow. "Then who?"
  Matt cringed. "Karen."
  I could no longer contain myself and burst out into laughter. "Of Karen, are you serious? Thé Matt, who always stands up to Hux, is afraid of Karen. It's just-." My belly ached from all the laughing.
  "Hey! She could lose her job because of me, which won't make her very happy. Okay?" Matt frowned irritated.
  "Pffft-."
  "It's not funny."
  I plucked some feathers, which had fallen off a feather duster, out of the blond's hair.
  "Hm, thank you," Matt murmured annoyed yet grateful.
  "Well, speaking of Karen, she's no longer your mentor."
  Matt's eyes widened, panically. "She didn't get fired, did she?"
  I raised an eyebrow. "If anyone would have to be fired it'd be you. With you being the one who deactivated this base's utmost important shields. But no, she didn't get fired, she'll be transferred instead."
  "Well at least she has no reason to be angry at me." Matt's composure relaxed. "Who's my new mentor? Depending on Hux, I'd guess it will be someone worse."
  I faked a devastated expression. "Do you think I'm worse than Karen?"
  I expected Matt to be happy, but he frowned instead. "You can't be right, Hux would never allow that." He mumbled something unintelligible, "what is he up to?"
  "In fact, he did. He even gave you the day off, so we can spend some time together. If that is what you want of course?"
  Matt's frown disappeared as sudden as it had appeared. "Yes, ehm I would like that. What would you like to do?"
  I thought for a moment. "I'd like to go for a walk, through the forest. Away from everyone, some fresh air, just us two."

  I waited for Matt at the gate that gave access to the forest.
  We had agreed to meet up here since we both needed to get our coats first.
  I was surprised when I saw Matt wearing Kylo's thick cloak. "Why are you wearing that?"
  Matt answered obviously, "because it's cold."
  I mentally face palmed. "I meant, why are you wearing Kylo Ren's cloak?"
  Matt looked at the clothing as if he hadn't realised it wasn't his. "Ehm... As a radar technician I was never assigned a cloak to wear, so Kylo borrowed me his."
  I nodded, still slightly confused. "That is because we usually don't wear cloaks... Which is a shame, because they do look cool."
  The corners of Matt's mouth twitched up. "Let's go outside, then I can show you how cool it looks in the white of the snowy hills."