50. Last preparations

Now came the hardest part of my plan, stealing Ren's lightsaber. Fun thing to have in mind is that I'll have to steal it twice. How wonderful, but there was no other way.
  I can't have the rebels face an infuriated Kylo Ren with a lightsaber, can I? So I'll have to make a replica, and switch it last minute with the real one, but that was for later worry.
  First I'll have to steal it in order to make the replica in the first place. But one does not easily steal Kylo Ren's lightsaber. Not if he isn't distracted. I grinned, I had a plan.

  "You want me to do what?!" Angel was very surprised by my request.
  "I want you to tell Ren what I just told you. You won't be recognised. He'll be too distracted and you'll be wearing this." I handed her the stormtrooper helmet I had made myself. The helmet had an unrecognisable code, because it wasn't yet recorded in the First Order system.
  "Why would I do that?" I hadn't fully convinced Angel just yet.
  "I proved myself worthy to be in the AR, now it's your turn. I promise Ren won't like what you'll say, but he isn't going to show that to you. Which means you're safe."
  That's when I got her. "Of course I'm worthy, I'll show you!"

  I watched behind a corner as Angel walked up to Ren, not showing the slightest amount of fear.
  Ren was talking to a stormtrooper when Angel reached him. "Sir, I have to tell you something." She motioned the other stormtrooper and Ren sent him away.
  "What is it? I sure do hope this is worthy of my time." His voice sounded robotic, and not just literally. I could hear the difference from when he was talking to me.
  "I heard that General Hux and Head Technician (Y/n) were, ahem, showing inappropriate behaviour in his office and that they're currently on their way to his private quarters." Angel's voice sounded normal, no giggle or quiver, even I'd believe her.
  Don't exaggerate it Angel.
  I might have challenged her a little too much...
  Ren stormed off without uttering a word, his anger rather more than obvious.
  Sorry Armitage.

  No time to lose, I ran to Ren's private quarters and opened the door. Okay, I may or may not have peeked when Matt entered the code.
  I had noticed that Ren wasn't wearing his saber, so it must be around here somewhere...
  I opened cabin after cabin. I slightly cringed when seeing, 'Kylo Ren straight up sucks,' in a familiar cabin door.
  "Where is it? Think (Y/n), just think like Kylo."
  In the meanwhile I had looked everywhere, well except from... it can't be... I walked to the bed and took the pillows away, and there it lay. The cross-guard lightsaber.
  Who the hell hides their lightsaber under their pillow?
  I didn't want to lose any more time. Armitage and Kylo were probably arguing right now, but I couldn't be sure for how long. It often ranged from mere minutes to several hours or days.
  I almost bumped into someone when opening the door, I feared the worst.
  Luckily it was just Angel, who was a tad bit frustrated. "And what did you do in there? I have the feeling you're not really helping the AR..."
  I mentally rolled my eyes, I certainly had no time to handle a curious Angel. "On the contrary, I'd say I'm the most active member-."
  Angel noticed that I was hiding something behind my back and quickly fetched it from me.
  Stupid troopers, why are they always so sturdy and fast? And above all, spry.
  Her jaw dropped. "Is this Ren's lightsaber?! Did you really steal it?"
  I tried to take it back, but failed.
  Angel had already activated the weapon and was swirling it around. Dangerously.
  "Yes. This is his lightsaber, now give it back." I didn't dare to try taking it back again, afraid I'd lose my hand in the process.
  "What are you going to do with it?"
  I was really getting agitated now, mostly because of the fact Kylo could return any moment. "That's classified. This will be the last time I ask; give. it. back." I pronounced word for word. "Imagine how Ren reacts when he finds out a stormtrooper has taken hold of his beloved lightsaber." I held out my hand.
  Finally Angel gave it back, afraid of the idea of being the centre of Ren's fury.
  "You better do something hella awesome with it," was all she said before turning around.
  "Well, I do intend to," I promised to an empty room.

  I rushed to my room, where my materials and tools were already neatly in place.
  It wasn't going to be easy. I had never really got the chance to fully inspect the weapon, and it would be hard to give my replica the exact same weight as the original. But I wasn't named the Head Technician for no reason.

  After making the replica I hurried back to Ren's private quarters, checked if no one was watching, and entered the room.
  I thanked the little angel on my shoulder, Ren hadn't returned yet.
  I placed the real lightsaber back under the pillow and locked the door once again.
  Just in time, Kylo had entered the hallway only seconds ago. Still muttering about how he despised General Hux and the stormtrooper who had given him this false information. Poorly he didn't know who it was, he'd been too distracted. Ren made sure he wouldn't make that mistake ever again.
  Apparently Kylo was very much in thought, I could walk past him without him noticing my presence. Or so I thought.
  "(Y/n)."
  I turned around, and smiled a little. "Kylo." I acknowledged him. "Is there anything wrong, Commander?" I tried to sound as nonchalantly as possible.
  Kylo hesitated before speaking, knowing he'd act out of character with his next words. "Only so you're informed, someone is spreading rumours about you." He added, "the First Order can't permit a scandal around one of its members, not when they're with authority and prestige."
  I could practically feel his struggle, yet I couldn't stop myself, even though I knew exactly what he was talking about. "What rumours?"
  I saw how Ren wanted to bring his hand to the back of his neck, but stopped himself before his new habit became too noticeable. But I knew him far too well.
  How did I ever not see they were one and the same person?
  "Just- rumours, I don't know, I haven't heard them."
  Lies. Lies. Lies.
  "Is that everything, Commander? I really should go back to work," I said professionally, despite my current emotions.
  "Yes." After a flicker of his cape, he made a sharp turn and headed to his private quarters.

  I sat on my bed, my lightsaber replica and the purse containing kyberdust, in hand.
  Tomorrow would be the day. The day that no one would ever hear of the Master of the Knights of Ren, Kylo Ren, ever again.