33. Trial

"What could possibly be that bad about her past?" Armitage was still overwhelmed by the news.
The officer turned to me. "We'll find out soon enough."

It was a imposing room, with First Order banners in the back and a ceiling so high you could barely see it. Designed to make you feel small, sending the message 'if you end up here, give up already.'
In the back there was a raised desk, which I assumed was for the judge.
I had to take place behind one of the two desks. There were two seats, I wondered for whom the other one was meant.
Who'd even want to help me? If this case is about what I think it is, I stand no chance.
And of course, who else but Armitage would take the seat next to me?
"I don't know who accused you or why you're here, but I promise that I'll help you out. Everyone has a past of their own." He took my hand in his and squeezed it. "I stand with you."
The idea of Armitage advocating for me calmed me down, he was probably the smartest and most cunning person in the whole room.
  An ageing man in the same kind of uniform as Armitage took place behind the raised desk.
  I didn't have to wait long to see who sued me.
  A tall stormtrooper in full chrome armour entered the room, accompanied by a short rat-like man. They took place behind the other desk.
  I glared at Phasma, with more hate than ever.
  Her robotic voice spoke, "I am here in name of the accuser, he or she wanted to remain anonymous."
  Of course the real accuser didn't have the guts to show up, and Phasma loving this made it even worse.

  "How goes the accusation?"
  The rat man wanted to speak, but Phasma pushed him back down and stood up. "I have been informed that (Y/n) worked for her father Nicolai (L/-."
  I jumped up and interrupted her, "don't you dare say that name!"
  All the bad memories came back, I felt infuriated. How dared Phasma, she was in no place to be tossing around my last name.
  Armitage pulled me back down. "Remain calm. We can't have them make you tank your own case, can we?"
   I mumbled some curses in their direction.
  The judge sent me a foul glance and turned back to Phasma. "Please continue."
  Phasma provocatively cleared her throat before continuing. "Nicolai is a well known Resistance rebel, as he produces a considerable amount of their ships. My informant told me that our Head Technician (Y/n) here, helped him do so. Which means she aided the Resistance, and therefore committed treason."
  I felt Armitage tense next to me, which couldn't mean anything good.
  "Is that true Miss (Y/n)?"
  I stood up and felt Armitage's hopeful look, I hated to let him down. "It's true..."
  I saw his shoulders lower.
  "...but, it wasn't my choice. I lived on Corellia, which is well known for building ships, it's what we do for a living. How could I have know that I was working on one of their ships?"
  I sat back down, hearing Armitage mumble something like, "smart move."
  Now it was Phasma's turn to protest. "I heard (Y/n) added extra upgrades to the ships, ones that weren't included in the recorded deals."
  I didn't know what to say, it was true. I had always tried to make work less boring.
  Luckily Armitage knew just what to say, his words really touching me. "That could be true. (Y/n) is a wonderful technician who is very proud of and good at her job. If you were a technician genius, forced to work on the same mundane projects day in day out, not knowing for whom, wouldn't you want to make your work less tedious? By making everything better and thereby improving yourself and your skills? We should be happy to have her on our side. We wouldn't even be here, on the project that is going to allow the First Order to bring peace to the galaxy, if it wasn't for our Head Technician (Y/n). I think these silly accusation from another lifetime, mean nothing compared to what she does now, what she can offer the First Order."
  Armitage dictated sternly, not allowing any form of contradiction. He once again proved why he was appointed as General. Full of himself Hux sat back down, I suppressed the urge to hug him into oblivion.
  "Is there an objection from your side?" The judge really seemed to be on Phasma's hand.
  "She might or might not have helped build this base, but that doesn't hide the fact she tried to hurt our most important General. General Hux."
  I felt myself disappear in my seat.
  Armitage turned pale.
  "Is that true, General?"
  Hux neatened his hair, but it was already as tidy as it could be. "There was a little accident with an invention, indeed. But as I said, it was an accident. I dropped all charges."
  "It sounds like treason, perhaps she's plotting on killing the General. We can't be sure enough."
  If it wasn't for Armitage's hand on my lap, pushing me down, I would have charged at Phasma. To show her what an attempt on taking someone's life looks like.
  The judge leaned back in his seat. "I've heard enough for now. Once I've come to a verdict, I will call upon you."
  Before I knew it, two stormtroopers took my arms and dragged me with them.
  I heard Armitage's angered voice before they closed the doors behind us. "You can't do this. Trust me, this will be your last day in service!"

  They dragged me all the way down to the cellblock, where they threw me in a musty cell.
  Everything in me was closed off, I could only think one thing, over and over again.

  You can run as fast as you can, but the past will always catch up with you.