46. "Game night"

After I had faced Phasma, I decided to take a short nap and then prepare myself for this 'game night.'
I looked in my closet, and shove my many uniforms away to find a dress I had bought on a market. It was a sleek dress in my favourite colour, simple but elegant. I brushed my hair and wore it just the way I liked it. Perfect.
A little later someone knocked on the door.
Matt was wearing something nice too, luckily not too exaggerated. Black trousers and a casual, off-white blouse.
Not for the first time did his sloppy glasses look funny compared to the rest of his outfit.
"So... I heard you wanted to take me somewhere?"
Matt sounded nervous, and all but confident. "Only if you want to?"
I chuckled. "Of course I want to come with you. What do you think, silly?"
Matt's nervous expression vanished and was replaced by a happy one, relieved even. Often it seemed Matt had to 'warm up' before interacting, which I could only adore.

The canteen had been turned into something with a tavern-like look. I never knew I'd say this about Starkiller, but it looked cozy. The scents of stews and cheap beers, the dim lights, soft furs, and noises of conviviality, all contributed to the pleasant atmosphere.
No one was wearing their uniforms, everyone had pulled something casual from their closets.
"So, what did you have in mind?"
Matt looked around the 'tavern.' He wasn't really used to this kind of social environment. "Uhm, what about a drink and then see what to do next?"
I nodded. "I could use a drink."
While sipping from our drinks, Matt and I watched a table with people who were 'gambling' by means of playing a dice game. We were both fixated on the game, it seemed pretty easy actually.
Every player had a dice, starting with the six up. The person who opens the game gets to cast two dices. It's all about the scores. If you get a six and a two, you have sixty two. If you get two of the same figures, like one and one, you have hundred. When you have a two and an one, you're save.
The first player gets to choose how many times he or she wants to cast the dices, up to three times. You try to get the highest score as possible. If the first player throws three times, then the others get to throw three times too, so they can try to cast something higher. The one with the lowest score needs to turn his personal dice a number lower, from six to five for an example. Once your dice reaches one, you have to count up, until you reach six again. Once you reach six, you've lost. The last one standing wins.
It was all about gambling; cast the dices another time to get a possible higher score, but the other players get to throw extra too. Or keep your possible low score and hope no one casts higher.
The previous round was finished and I nudged Matt, who had been just as intrigued as me. I wanted to ask him if we should give it a try, but he was faster.
"I learned my poker-face from a professional. I'd like to see if I still got it, do you want to join me?"
I was surprised by his sudden confidence. "Show me what you got, but don't get angry if I win," I said teasingly.
Matt smirked. "We'll see. But be warned, I have my tricks."

"Damn it Matt! Why are you so good at this? It isn't even fair anymore."
  Okay, I'm a little competitive, so what?
  Matt must be cheating, it can't be possible to win every. single. time.
  Matt's smirk was all over the place. Yes, one should be happy for others, but he's making it hard. We had already played two games, and Matt had won both of them. Easily. Too easily.
  "Okay, lets go do something else," I suggested. I tried to sound as not agitated as possible, which was, in fact, impossible.
  Matt grinned again. "Why? I think I like this game."
  Sure you do.
  "Because I want to," I made clear. I practically dragged him from his seat. Which was, of course, hopeless since he's still the tall and broad man he is. "Let's play a game that's more about... using your brains." I motioned one of the tables with a Dejarik board, also known as holochess.

  Kylo was having trouble with the chess game. It wasn't nearly as easy as the gamble dice game, which he had cheated on, using his Force powers.
  He cheated by using the mind trick to force the other players into making the decision to throw again, even if they had a good score. In that way he would get as many casts as he wanted, a higher rate to get a higher score. And he might or might not have rolled the dices into fortunate positions.

  Matt was a very good player, but not quite as tactical as me. He tended to make impulsive moves.
  I saw him get more and more frustrated as he started to lose more and more pieces. Until I had him. "Checkmate!"
  Matt looked at his options, which he didn't have. But he couldn't believe it, or rather, he didn't want to. "This can't be..." He gritted his teeth.
Here we go.
  And threw the board of the table.
Should have seen that coming.
  After realising what he had done, Matt sat back in his tiny chair, being grumpy.
  I stood up, still enjoying the fact that I had finally beaten him.
  Matt was stronger, taller, better at 'lightsaber' battles, better at using a blaster, better at the stupid dice game, but I was better at chess.
  I gazed upon the funny view, hands clasped behind my back, shifting my weight from foot to foot in an attempt to hide my pride.
  "Enjoying yourself?" Matt commented grumpily.
  I suppressed the urge to chuckle. "Just enjoying the view of my grouchy Matt, sitting in his rickety, declining chair." I swung my arms around his neck and gave him a kiss on his cheek.
  Matt looked me in the eyes, dreamily, his gaze often shifting towards my lips.
  "Now, done being grumpy? You're better at almost everything anyways."
  Matt sighed and got up, resting his arms around my waist as mine were still wrapped around his neck. "Says the best technician I know."
  I smiled. "You're not so bad yourself."
  Matt sounded dead serious. "Don't lie to me."
  But it didn't take long for us to both burst into laughter.
  "Do you want to leave this place? It's getting a little messy in here." Matt pulled me from my spot just in time as a drunk man got thrown over the counter and flew through the air.
  "A little voice in my head tells me you've prepared something..." I guessed with a smile playing on my face.