Chapter 6

MY NEW ALARM rings loud into my ear, interrupting my sweet sleep. 

The bed beside me is empty. I look over to Chrissy's bed, it's made perfectly, she still hasn't been home. I have one hour to get ready. I take a deep breath before brushing gently through my hair before applying a little mascara and lipstick.

 I take a deep breath, my deep breaths seem to be more frequent than before. I use a black hair tie to tie my long and sometimes annoying hair into a ponytail. The last thing I need is my hair mixing around with my stress. 

I put on my new pearl earrings. I start regretting the heels I bought, I should have just bought some normal sneakers or something. A few short strings of hair cover my forehead. I decide on my black skinny jeans and my light-gray long sleeve top, I'm thankful for it not being revealing despite the low neckline. It takes me a while to find my classroom but I finally do.

"Wow, so this is what college looks like," I say calmly as I look at the dozens of seats and each row of seats lower than the first.

"Yup." A guy with slightly curly hair says.

 I take a seat at the bottom with only two rows below me. I feel like a real student now, this is what I was waiting forever since I can remember. 

I look around the big room, everyone has their friends sitting together and giggling whilst I remain alone. 

The professor starts talking, I've never been so interested in what a teacher is talking about. He lets us know we'll be discussing a few books and that we all better have read them, which I haven't. 

I'm only interested in reading books that I like which frankly aren't nearly all books. I look at the row in front of me. In the seat diagonal to me, I see ahead of perfectly gelled dark brown hair.

 It looks weirdly familiar . . . Miles? His laptop is open, the screen black and the white letters read military time ‚14:48'. His eyes spot mine and I quickly look away.

 I've barely said one word to him and the last thing I need is attention from him. 

The professor dismisses us and everyone rushes out of the classroom, with a few girls lingering behind Miles. He slowly glances at me as he passes me with the black laptop in hand.

"Watch it." A blond girl says, bumping into me. I grab my books off the floor before finally leaving the classroom. 

My last class doesn't end until seven pm and I'm already too tired to sit through anything else. The class is in a weird building that I don't really like, and the classroom is so small, all of the seats are so crowded, I choose to sit higher than usual, with only one row of seats above me. 

The teacher immediately begins the lecture.

"I'll let you guys go right before seven, so don't worry." The teacher explains and half of the class lets out a deep breath. 

I scan the class for Miles but he's not here, he didn't show up for the last two classes either. I find myself wanting him to be here, at least then I'd know someone.