Chapter 72

I wake up to a buzzing sound and I open my eyes. I look around the room but Miles is gone, his phone by the window. 

His phone buzzes again and I get out of the bed and I look at the messages on the screen,

Pamela: "Valentina told me about Madison, invite her for dinner tonight."

I smile at the message even though I know Miles will never say 'yes'. My fingers stop reaching towards the phone and instead I turn around to find my clothes. 

I quickly get dressed before walking slowly towards my dorm. Something about going back there is nerve-wracking. I know it's only been a few hours but I already feel like I don't belong there anymore.

"Chrissy?" I ask as I knock lightly onto the door but after receiving no answer, I enter the dorm slowly. 

I look around at the empty room before closing the door behind me and taking a deep breath. I look out the window only to see the falling snow staring back at me. 

There's something about seeing the perfectly white snowfall that makes me smile every time, it's so peaceful and so underestimated. 

I let out a deep breath before locking the door behind me and sitting on top of my desk to watch the falling snow. It blankets everything in its pathway: all of the trees, the people, and the parking lot that is barely visible from my window.

I open my desk only to find a white scrunchie. I tie it into my dark hair and smile. 

After everything that has happened the falling flakes are the only thing that has let me breathe, they've calmed me down and no matter how silly it seems, they've given me air for the first time in a while. 

I tug at the necklace Jace gave me which takes me back to my first day here. 

I had no idea how much everything would change and the last thing I expected was for Jace and me to have a small falling out. 

I look down at my phone only to see that my messages are still only 'delivered'. 

I sigh before slowly getting off the table and getting into my short black heels before unlocking the door.

"Goodbye," I say to the room before heading out and into the hallway again. 

The hall is crowded with people rushing to class but I can't help but walk slowly. 

I don't want to rush to class only because I don't want to face Mr. Stafford. I slowly open the heavy door to class but yet I can't spot Miles anywhere.

"Madison!" I hear behind me and for a second my mind travels to Chrissy but when I turn around Stephanie is standing there with a smile on her face. 

Her short and slightly curly blonde hair is perfectly made and she has two coffees in her hands.

"I was hoping to find you." She smiled, handing me one of the coffees.

"Thank you." I smile.

"Sit with me?" she asks and I nod before I follow her into the classroom. 

She's slightly taller than me and slightly shorter than Miles which surprises me.

"Ugh, I totally flunked on Friday's test." She explains.

"I wish I had shown up on Friday," I say at the memory of seeing Miles in that room with a light-brown haired girl.

"Why didn't you?" she asks, sipping her coffee through the thick black straw.

"I . . . I went back to Ohio, for a visit." I smile.

"Oh, right, Miles told me." She says and my eyes go wide.

"What?"

"Yeah, we're old friends . . . sort of, we barely keep in touch but while we dated we got really close." She smiles and I try my best to return it.

"Oh, but please don't worry, we barely keep in touch and we are so over each other." She says and I nod.

"But, he did tell me that you needed a dorm and I'm more than happy to help." She says.

"Thank you but you really don't have to—"

"I want to, you're my friend Madison." She says and I nod, still thinking about how much Miles has told her.

"Class is dismissed." Mr. Stafford says and my stomach turns.

"See ya," Stephanie says with a small wave before exiting the class. As I walk down the red stairs towards the professor, the class empties out more and more.

"Madison." I hear Milels's voice behind me and I turn around to see him standing there with a smirk.

"I didn't see you in class," I say.

"I wasn't in class." He bushes his fingers through his hair but before I can say anything he gives me that 'Miles' smile.

"I know you saw my mom's message." He says and my eyes go wide.

"Your mom? No, I—"

"Then why wasn't the message on my screen anymore like I left it?" he smirks. I part my lips to say something but nothing comes out.

"So, you busy tonight?" he asks and I shake my head, trying to hide my growing smile.

"I'll pick you up at seven." He smiles and I nod.

"I already talked to Mr. Staffod, you can re-take the test on Monday." He says and I'm speechless.