Chapter 73

I look down at my feet as I carry a large box to Stephanie's room.

"Is this the last box?" she asks as she sits down on her bed. I nod and she smiles before standing up.

"How are you feeling?"

"I'm okay." I muster a smile before opening up the box. I left my keys on Chrissy's desk. 

I already miss my old dorm but this one looks more spacious and less crowded.

"I still haven't decorated too much but I'm getting some stuff delivered tomorrow so don't worry, this dorm will look a little more lively," Stephanie explains and I give her a small nod before closing the door behind me. 

I'm still confused as to how Miles knew I needed a new dorm but that's a question fr another time. It was already a possibility for Miles to say 'no' to me meeting his mom and I don't want to push my luck with his kindness.

"Here, let me help you." She says and I smile at her as we both take everything out of the boxes. 

I still can't believe how she managed to set my small makeup table and desk up so fast.

"Sorry again for barging in on you like this, I—"

"Oh please, I need a roommate anyway, being her all alone is too boring." She says with a smile and I thank her with a small head nod.

"So why did your roommate kick you out?" she asks.

"Chrissy—" I begin but she stops me with her wide eyes.

"Chrissy? Was Miles dating her before you?"

"Yeah, do you know her?" I ask, my voice soft and confused.

"Madison—"

"Knock, knock," Miles says, entering the room and closing the door behind him.

"How is unpacking going?" he smirks.

"We're fine, thanks for asking." Stephanie smiles and I look up at Miles with a nod.

"Don't forget tonight." He says with a smirk and before I can say anything, he disappears out the door.

"Watch out," Stephanie says with wide eyes.

"What do you mean?" I ask but she shakes her head.

"Miles' family aren't at all what you expect." She says with a deep exhale. 

I nod up at her before she says, "all done!" all of the boxes are finally empty and before I stand gab them, Stephanie quickly takes all of the trash and tells me she'll be back in a minute. 

I feel like I don't have the right to be a little jealous that Miles has done all of this with almost every girl and I'm just one of them, while he is my first. 

He'll always be my first and yet, I'm only one of his many. 

I take a deep breath before exhaling loudly and placing everything perfectly on my desk and makeup table. Everything looks almost just like it did except now I have a different roommate and a different room. 

I still can't believe how much I hurt everyone in my life. My poor mother is sick and worried, Jace is mad at me, Chrissy is broken-hearted and Jacob is fighting for something he'll never get. 

All of this was for him—for Miles. I look out the big window in front of my desk and smile at the falling snow before grabbing my toiletry bag and heading to the showers. 

I don't want to disappear all of a sudden but I need some space for at least a few minutes and I know Stephanie could use it too now that I've taken over half of her room. 

The scolding water feels good on my tense muscles but hearing what Stephanie said about Miles's family makes the nerves in me grow stronger than ever. 

 I have no idea what to expect and I don't know what I'm getting myself into. I dry my hair slowly before walking back to the dorm with a smiling Stephanie reading a magazine.

"I was wondering where you disappeared to." She says and I smile.

"I had to take a quick shower, my nerves are all over the place," I explain and she gives me a small chuckle.

"If there's anything you need, let me know, I have all of the makeup products in the world."

"Thank you." I smile before drying my hair better. 

I comb mascara through my lashes, apply the red lipstick that Miles loves so much, paint red polish on my fingernails, curl my long hair, and finally slip into my red silky dress.

"Wow!" She says and I thank her before putting in my small hoop earrings. I hear a knock at the door and my heart starts to race.

"Have fun," Stephanie says and I nod before opening the door to Miles, whose brows are raised.

"Woah." He breathes, biting his lip which weirdly sends shivers all over me. I smile at him and he smirks back at me.

"When will you be back?" Stephanie asks, looking at me.

"Very late," Miles says, his raspy voice traveling through the room. Stephanie rolls her eyes with a giggle before waving a small goodbye.