-:- chapter 2 -:- on the way -:-

"WHY WOULD YOU SEND ME AWAY? I CAN'T LEAVE! WHAT ABOUT MY MISSIONS? WHO'S GOING TO MESS WITH CARL? I CAN'T LEAVE YOU TO DEAL WITH THIS? I HAVE TO HELP..." I start to ramble, freaking out.

"ALEXA. CALM. DOWN!" Dom yells, making me stop instantly, "I'm only sending you there until we can eliminate the threats without them having any chance to get you. And as for your missions we have a base in San Francisco that you will be helping run, see it as training for when you take over from me, also Carlos and Lorenzo will be going with you". I don't understand how the others are so calm.

So many emotions were going through my head right then. I didn't know that the threats had gotten that bad. Does he think that I am just not good enough to help handle it? My whole life is in New York, my friends, family... how can I just pack up and leave? Why can't we face this head on? How can I move across the country?

Dom starts explaining the details "Alexa and Carlos will be posing as Lorenzo's foster kids; if you wish you can take Emilia". Lorenzo nods, and Dom continues "you will both be attending Eastwood High, but considering technically you have both graduated already you don't necessarily need to pass. I would still like it if you try though, take this as an opportunity to be normal teenagers for once." After he finishes, we all sit in silence for a solid minute lost in our own thoughts before I speak up "When do we leave?" 

As I nervously await the answer, my leg starts to bounce. Dom seems to notice because he sighs before replying "tomorrow morning"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Time skip to on the plane to San Francisco
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

We've only been on the plane for 20 minutes but it feels like forever, I don't know why I'm so nervous - it's not like I haven't travelled before, I mean, I do it all the time for missions - but this just feels different. As I stare out the window to see nothing but clouds and blue sky, my mind drifts to the conversation I had with Dom after the others went to pack.

Flashback

As soon as the door closes, I turn to Dom "why do we have to run? You know I never run from a fight".

Dom sighs again, rubbing a hand down his face "that's what I'm afraid of Mi Angulo (my angel). I didn't want to say this in front of the others because I knew they would insist on staying like you, but there is one gang that's getting bigger, they now have ¾ of the men we do, and their leader really wants you dead. I can't risk you staying here, what happens if you get caught?" he asked.  I stay silent, waiting for him to continue. "You are my daughter Alexa, you have been since the day found you in the alley, I can't lose you, so please just go. It's not permanent, as soon as The Reapers are dealt with you can come home".

I look into his eyes and see him pleading with me to just agree, I really don't want to leave my family, but listening to the worry in his voice I can't help but accept what's happening. I can't have him constantly worrying about me when he has a whole gang to run, that's just not fair. 

"Ok papa, I'll go" I see the joy light up in his eyes as I go to hug him, "but I want to be updated constantly, a file on this new gang and my babies come with me" referring to my cars and motorcycles. He chuckles before agreeing.

"I love you Mi hija" he mumbles, placing a kiss on the top of my head like he did when I was little.

"I love you too papa" I say, before pulling away and walking out the door to pack.

Flashback over

One last look out the window and I turn back to glance at Carl and laugh. He is fast asleep snoring with his mouth open a little. I can't help myself, I take out my phone and snap a quick photo. It was adorable. Carlos was a clown most of the time, had been since the moment we brought him home. I was seven and had been kidnapped for the first time. As I was thrown in the cell, I saw a little boy - he smiled at me and told me his name and I told him mine. We talked for a while before I said "don't worry my papa and his family will get us out, then you can come live with us" and that's exactly how it went. We have been best friends ever since.

We balance each other out most of the time with me being a lot more responsible and serious than he is, but together we could stir up some major trouble. The gang started calling us the DTD - double trouble demons.

With a smile of my face, thinking about my family, I close my eyes and try to get some sleep. It takes a while, but eventually the darkness takes over and I fall into a dreamless sleep.

****************

"AJ".

"AJ wake up". 

Groaning, I slap whoever was trying to interrupt my peaceful sleep.

"Go away jackass". I close my eyes and snuggle back into my seat. I hear someone mumbling about doing this the hard way or something, but I ignore them. Bad idea. Next minute there's a cup of water dumped onto my face, instantly I jump up and grab, whoever the fuck thought that waking me up was a good idea's arm and lock it behind their back.

"Ok Ok - I'm sorry, just let me go AJ" I look up at the dimwit and find that it's my dimwit.

"What the fuck Carl!" I let go and he starts laughing. I just stand there stunned - why the hell is he laughing? "Why are you laughing?"

"Your face was priceless" he says in between laughs. After he sobers up, he continues "anyway, I woke you to say we will be landing in 10 minutes, I'm going to pack up my stuff". He walked off into one of the bedrooms on the private plane.

Looking out the window, I sigh and start thinking - I hope I like it here; I've never been to real school before. Carl and I have been homeschooled by the gang because it was too dangerous, plus we were pretty advanced for our age and graduated last year. I also wonder how I'm going to go running the San Fran base. I can't help but think that I'm being a coward running away like this. I know it's for the best, but what if people in the gang get hurt because of me? Or what if they find me at the San Francisco base and we don't have enough people to stop them? My thoughts are interrupted when I feel a hand on mine.

"Stop overthinking things AJ, everything will be fine." I was so invested in my thoughts that I hadn't even noticed Carl walk in and take a seat next to me, "let's just try to have fun while we are away, we never got to be normal teenagers. And I'm gonna make it my mission to make sure that we both have the best high school experience ever. That, I promise you." He had a huge goofy grin on his face and I couldn't help but smile back, happy at the fact that he's having fun.

Once we land the plane is unloaded, and we hop into the car. Lorenzo's driving, Emilia's in the passenger seat with Carl, and I'm in the back. Carl looks at me and says "here we go".

And with that, we start the drive to the house.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

words - 1326