-:- chapter 14 -:- coffee -:-

School. You know the Six Cruel Hours Of Our Lives. Especially when you've already done all this shit before.

"ok cheer up AJ its just school and remember you have a mission in the city on Wednesday so you won't have to go that day, now eat your damn toast so we can go." Carl sighed because I was making him late, I just grumble and took a bit out of my jam toast.

Its Monday and I spent all weekend sorting out this alliance for the silver bullets, turns out it's a lot harder than it sounds but if I'm going to take over from Dom I need to learn this stuff.

"I've already done school, I've graduated, meaning finished, I should be shadowing Dom learning everything there is to know not sitting in a stuffy classroom with braindead teenagers that don't know the first thing about what real life is like" complaining to Carl on the way to school while he was driving.

"calm down AJ your death angel is coming out and remember you're a teenager too and you really should try and act like one have some fun also why would you want to follow around that old fart when you are running a gang here." Don't get me wrong I love Carl to death but he can annoy the hell outa me when he's got a point.

This may be the only chance I get to actually be a kid because once I take over I will be in charge of over 1000 people and a whole mafia. That doesn't leave a lot of time for being a teenager.

When we get to school Ace, Brayden and Emma were standing near their cars waiting for us. I let out a grumble and Carl looks at me before turning to the back of the car and grabbing something. When he turns around I see it was two of those on-the-go coffee cups. "what's that?"

He smiles and says "first one has coffee because I know you didn't have any this morning and the second one is my emergency Death Angel cure" little shit, whenever I get too gangster or act older than I should he gives me this drink he calls the death angel cure because apparently it fixes me but he won't tell me what's in it, I'm pretty sure it's got a fair few different types of alcohol in it.

"how do you know I didn't have coffee?" he looks at me.

"your fucking grumpy ass mood that how."

"oi remember who your talking to 'second'."

"oh no don't you pull that 'I'm higher ranking than you' bullshit we both know that if you didn't have me you would have gotten yourself killed by now" eh he's probably right.

Instead of answering I take both the cups and get out of the car walking over to were the others are standing with Carl following behind me. they all say hi but I just grumble back and Ace looks at Carl.

"What up with her this morning?" he asked

"she didn't have her coffee and then didn't want to come to school so I had to force her into the car." I skull the coffee in one big go and they all look at me.

"What you never seen a girl drink coffee." I shrug.

"if that's coffee what's in the second cup?" this time it was Brayden who spoke.

"Don't you worry about that miller, just be thankful Carl gave it to me or your day would have been hell." I take a swig and feel the liquid slightly burn as it goes down my throat, he gives me a weird look and I think he was about to question me further when the bell wrung telling us to get our asses inside.

****

By the time lunch rolled around I needed some air so I went out the back of the building and found a tree. Sitting down at the base I decided to have a smoke while I was out here it was peaceful... for about 3 minutes until I heard his annoying voice

"I didn't know you smoke." He sits down next to me but looking out the same way as me out onto the old football field.

"there's a lot you don't know about me Miller" more than he will ever know.

"then let's change that." He turns and faces me "lets play 20 questions, we take turns asking questions and you have to answer questions truthfully"

"I know how to play 20 questions dumbass. Your not gonna go away until I agree are you?"

"nope. So what's your favourite colour?"

"teal. You?"

"navy blue. Favourite food?"

"chicken nuggets" dude laughed at me, what's wrong with chicken nuggets "Spotify or apple music?"

"Spotify for sure. If you could live in one movie what would it be?"

"fast and furious." I love that movie so much all of them actually I have watched all of them over and over. "what about you"

"hmm maybe AXEL the one with the robot dog. Who are 5 most important people in your life"

"Carl, Dom, Lorenzo, Emilia, Dess" I said without even thinking. I probably shouldn't have said Dom and Des but it was an automatic reaction.

"who's Dom and Des?" if I avoid this question he will just become more suspicious so I should give him something.

"Des is the family friend that picked me up the other day, Carl and I grew up with him until he decided he wanted to explore a bit but he's like a brother. me, him and Carl did everything together when we were younger even though he's a bit older than us, and Dom umm let's just say one of the first people that gave a shit about me. he's who I would call my father, you know what they say family runs deeper than blood."

I have no idea why I told him all that but something about him just makes me want to trust him but I know I can't. I'm not here to make friends or trust people, I'm here to keep my gang, my family safe.

"I have one more question for you." Maybe if I say yes he will go away

"fine shoot."

"what was your nightmare about?" oh man

"something that happened a few years back" I dodge the question getting ready to stand up "haven't had a good night sleep since" I breath out putting out my smoke and standing up. Unfortunately he decides to follow me.

"how many years is a few?" he persists

"4" I said shortly before walking away.

Brayden's POV:

I stand there shocked, she had to be kidding right. What could have happened that she hasn't slept right in 4 years? She would have been 13 right, so pretty young.

I heard Des had been in the gang business before he came to San Francisco maybe she got caught up in it or something. Than it hits me, I have a tech guy who can hack into anything. If what happened is on record he will be able to find it. So I decided to call him.

"hey boss what's up?"

"I need you to look into someone, the names Alexa Reed find out anything and everything you can on her. I want to have it by this afternoon."

"you got it boss." I hang up and head back into the school just as the bell rings.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N - hey look at that i stuck to the schedule, i know this chapter was a bit mellow but it gonna get more interesting i promise. 

as always feel free to leave any comments and please vote :)

words - 1257