#41 Xemein's Vision II

At once, my eyes opened as I awakened from my trance. My vision of Regalis's impending death!

I looked around. Regalis. Where is he?

I noticed a note on his side of the bed. I snatched it, reading it quickly.

Oh no! Mother of Light! Regalis has left for the Midlands!

In exchange of the truthseeker coming here to the North, Cederic agreed that Regalis would personally come to hear the cases of the oppressed in the Midlands. 

With Regalis there, the current Governor wouldn't be able to stop the truthseekers from testing for the truth and granting justice in disputes between the rich and poor. Or the higher and lower class. 

I jumped up from our bed. The meeting Randall had with his sorcerer hasn't happened yet, but it will. It could happen in the next thirty minutes or it could even be happening now. But, one thing was certain. Randall knew where Regalis was! And he intended to take full advantage of it. And from the way, he sounded, he had no doubt, his plan would succeed.

I grabbed an outfit. Wore it quickly. King Randall must have somehow discovered that Regalis was headed for the Midlands. 

For a second, my fingers paused.

Let him die. My mind thought. Do nothing to stop his death. At least, in this way, your conscience will be clear, as you weren't the one who plunged the knife into his chest.

I staggered. And the footwear I held, fell from my hands.

Do nothing! And Marjol will be free!

He loves you! How dare you think like this?  Shame on you!  The other part of my mind shrieked. He may not have said it, but, you can feel his love for you in his actions! In practically everything he does for you!

He believed in you during Wallace's case. And despite knowing he would be offending the unGifted Generals, he still chose to bring the truthseekers to save you!

At the magicless land, despite not knowing you, yet, he risked his life to save you from the wraiths! Saved you at the river too! And  his favourite horse died, so, you may live! So, tell me, is this how you repay Hunter's death? 

My breath quickened.

The factors here are not the same! Marjol is more important! Another part of me fired. Comparing the life of a horse to that of hundreds of mortal beings! How is that sensible?

The war in my head continued. As my heart shivered within the walls of my chest.

Don't save him! Don't save him!

More so, Regalis will understand!

His life, for thousands of others?  He'd  gladly give his up!

Ar once, my hand went to my chest. To the left side of it. And I noted the pain there. The throbbing agony. As soon as I imagined Regalis giving up his life, this particular part of my chest spasmed with anguish. Juddered with fright. I can't bear to lose him. I admited to myself. I can't...

This is not the time to be having feelings, Xemein, you should...!  I shut down that thought.

And looked at the flap of the tent. After Regalis saved me, I promised to give him six months, and it wasn't up to that time yet. So, I still owed him.

And then, I thought, Regalis could not be the only one in danger. Wherever Regalis went, his four friends followed. Hence, you have to save him! Save them!

And then, I decided. If I do end up saving him, choosing him over Marjol today, I'm not doing it, because I felt my heart start to hurt when I thought of him dying. Instead, I'll  be doing it to repay him. Afterall, he saved me from the wraiths. Perhaps, it was now my turn to do the same.

****
Kindly check out my romantic-suspense story, A Psychotic Killer? How To Get Away!  It's amazing and complete.
Thanks for your support!