#85 Freedom / Wedded Again

The prohibition of slavery was the first law King Regalis passed. The end of forced marriages, bride collars, gender inequality and the non-acceptance of women into certain jobs, were the next he announced.

"Freedom!" he pronounced.

"Freedom for all! An Armalith, where each man or woman, decides his own life, without interference. Freedom for all!"

At first, it sounded strange to Armalithians but now, they were starting to grasp that this was indeed their new life. No going back to the old ways.

And that this new life had come to stay.

Speaking of new life. I looked at my husband and smiled.

Here, we were. About to be wedded again. However, this time, it signified a fresh beginning for us both. And that our mistakes and wrongs were in the past. And now, we were starting anew in love and happiness.

And what made this day especially tremendous. Was that my dream came true! My hand, in the arm of my father as he led me down the aisle towards the man I loved.

And you know what was even more interesting? My face, glowed. And on every line of my cheeks, happiness radiated. That was what, marrying the person your heart yearned for, could do. Truly, dreams did come true.

"To the Queen and King of Armalith!" the crowd chorused as Regalis's hands and mine joined.

We gazed deeply into each other's eyes. Amidst the crowd, were also my Marjol people. My parents, brother, relatives and friends. And among them, were those who didn't agree to this union, because of Randall's past actions, but Regalis was no Randall. And both nations had chosen to let go. With a treaty being signed. And Armalith issuing an apology. Never again, would Armalith hurt them.

And so now on the streets of Marjol, screams now filled it again. Markets bustled. Children ran from one end of the street to the next.

And if, I ever doubted freedom was important. At this moment, I had no doubt again. With freedom, came joy. And with joy, came abundant elation. And that was what I hoped for, for all Armalith and Marjol citizens. Endless joy.

At that second, we all drank to happiness. Cheers to a better future. As I hoped Brayton found happiness again. And that Cederic and Ashton overcome whatever barrier between them, and embrace the love in front of them. And that Shalott. I hope she kept being Shalott. Happy. Last of the dragon race and ender of the eternal doom ruler.

Regalis's warm eyes, so very warm, gazed at me with a look that made my breath catch in my windpipe. So much love. So much admiration.

It was hard to believe that we were like two pieces of a puzzle. Two pieces of a puzzle that should have killed each other, destroyed each other, never fit each other and yet somehow, we learnt to fit and now, could never unlearn it. And hoped never to.

He said, "I love you so much, Queen Xemein".

"Will you tell me that again in the morning, my King? In case, I fail to remember".

And he beamed, "I will. I will tell you that every day of our lives".

****
Did you enjoy this story? If YES, then, PLEASE, SHARE the link or book cover on your social media platforms. Tell a friend / loved one who enjoys reading to check it out too.

In addition, kindly ADD this book to your READING LISTS. And if you can, PLEASE COMMENT!

Finally, THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH FOR CHOOSING THIS STORY!!! Your patience and love, is greatly appreciated.