#80 SoulFire Magic

"Hah!" My dagger fell from my hand.

Soulfire magic. Soul deep pain. This was why it could kill even a dragon Lord. You felt it burning everything. Ravaging everything inside you. Scorching everything right down to the abstract part of you - your soul. So, this was how an extremely powerful bolt of lightning also felt?

I felt my lips open, and all I could do, was spit blood. Throw up more blood. One more touch of soul fire, and it was over for me. With my body ending up, completely burnt up, since it couldn't absorb Randall's too powerful magic. A story, unheard of. A Feeder, unable to absorb a non-shifter's magic. And since, he could kill me now, anytime soon, I might as well clear a few worries that had plagued Regalis for years.

Coughing out more blood, I said, "soulfire magic. You killed King Ricker. Yes or no".

"Yes" he said. With no shame nor regret, he said, "I killed him. And left his body. And the moment, Regalis entered his chambers. I sent a few servants to deliver the King's snacks. And he was caught at the crime scene".

I chuckled, painfully, "and no one suspected you, 'cause they all thought you were Giftless".

"Smart. Am I not?" he smirked.

I touched my chest. So much pain, in my body.

This man truly killed his father, King Ricker and put the blame on his son, whom people already feared, because of his mother's death.

For years, he fooled the people of Armalith. The so-called Giftless, first in Armalith royal family to not have a Gift, was actually the most powerful Gifted to be conceived in generations.

Had endless Gifts. And could not be Fed on. Would neetwood, even be harmful to him, the way it was to the bodies of other Gifted?

"And your wife" I said, "Regalis's mother. Who killed her?"

He paused, "the prophecy you know about. Of the will to live eternal. She prophesied that" he said.

"She was a good wife" he said. And actually showed the first sincere smile I'd ever seen on his face. "Beautiful. Most beautiful woman to ever walk the surface of this earth but -" an emotion showed in his eyes, "like my father, she couldn't condone certain things. So, she had to go" he said.

Regalis's mother had been a prophetieer. Speaker of things to come. They could speak things that could manifest, either tomorrow, or even a hundred years from now.

"So, you killed her" I said, " 'Cause she couldn't accept, you used human lives for sorcery, and wanted to expose you" I guessed.

"Sadly" and if Randall had a heart, perhaps, this would be the moment, I said, he looked a bit remorseful. Regretful. In his own sick way, he must've loved her.

"She should've supported me" he said.

"Or you should've stopped. To show her, you loved her, more than the gains of sorcery".

"Love her more than immortality?" he gave me this look, of no wonder the only thing your brain is filled with, is sand and watermelon seeds.

He turned and walked to the table in front of him. His sorcerers, stood there. Guarding the cup of immortality drink on it. And beside the cup, was a sword. Randall took it.

"Soaked in neetwood" he said, "this should end you quickly, without so much of the pain my magic would bring you".

And he was speeding towards me. So fast. So quick. Like a storm, I couldn't flee from.

And I knew it was over.

Ended for me. No outrunning a Gifted speeder. Quick death. He had said, and so, I take it. At least, I didn't die a coward. I didn't die, begging on my knees, to the oppressor of my country men. And I didn't die, knowing I didn't avert Regalis's death.

To the gods, I whispered. Protect everyone I came here with. Protect mankind from the immortal reign of Randall. Protect Regalis.

And as my eyes began to close slowly, expecting Randall's blade to stab right into me, at any moment. Someone jumped in front of me. And at that exact second, I heard the unmistakable sound of blade sinking into flesh, and the next words that followed, were the exact same words from my vision.

"Since, I'll never know death. Tell me, son, how does it feel to die?"