#56 Xemein's Confession

"I betrayed you" I said, a tear sliding down my cheek, as I tried to sit up with my bandaged belly.

Ashton looked at me, as though he knew what I was about to say, and pulled Cederic out of the tent. Brayton had already stormed out, after I narrated how Randall took Nadia away. His rage exploded, and even from here in the tent, I could hear the sounds his fists made on the unlucky surface, he was casting his anger on, by throwing heavy punches at.

I breathed in. The pain, from the injuries on my neck and belly, too little, compared to the one in my heart.

If Nadia dies, my failure to react instantly on recognising Randall's disguise would be the cause of her death. Had I acted as soon as I saw it was Randall, instead, of being in shock, in shock of seeing him suddenly, I'd have reacted quickly and Fed on his magic, before I got stabbed, losing strength.

Regalis held my hands to his cheek, " because you couldn't save Nadia, doesn't mean, you betrayed me. You were injured" he said.

From outside, I could already hear soldiers gathering, to march out and search for Nadia.

I shook my head, and wiped the tear on my face, "until yesterday, I was working for your father" I admitted. Shame and guilt, filling me.

"Wha...are you talking about?" he stammered.

From outside the tent, I guessed his friends were eavesdropping, but I couldn't stop the words, once I had started.

"King Randall sent me to kill you. That was the purpose of this marriage".

"Of me getting wedded to you" I said.

He hesitated. His hands, still holding mine. "So, why haven't you accomplished that, all these months?"

I didn't respond.

"Why?" "Have you..." he paused "been informing him about everything that happened between us?"

I still could not respond. Ashamed.

He put a hand on his chest, "your smile. Your laughter. Your jokes. Everything. All lies?" His voice, cracking.

"It's not..." I tried to hold his hands again as he had released mine, but, he stood up.

Breathing hard, "Nadia. She's the priority right now" and he stormed off, right out of the tent. And it crossed my mind, that this was the first time ever, that Regalis walked out on me during a conversation. My heart split. Splitting into parts, like an old wood, in contact with a sharp axe.

Nadia. Are you safe?

Without saying whether or not he forgives me, he left. But, do I even deserve to be forgiven? Do I?

Randall. I knew he was cruel, but not this cruel to his own people. I underestimated his desires. Using his peoples' lives and blood to procure immortality.

Nadia, in Randall's hands.

I could not even forgive myself, so, how dare I even ask, either Brayton (who loved Nadia) or Regalis to forgive me?